MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP 5.5.0 Released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.6.10 fixes the PHP 5.4 issues. I wouldn't recommend anything higher than PHP 5.4 and MySQL 5.5 at this stage.
MySQL 5.6 has a few errors with MyBB, some are already reported on Redmine but there can be more.
PHP 5.4 added a few features I actually use - mainly short hand array syntax. Not much is added in this release that I would really use - though the password features are pretty nifty.

Plus the finally keyword, that's been missing for too long.
Proper password hashing is a great addition as is finally. Zend Optimizer is also apparently far superior to APC as an opcode cache and it's nice to be part of the core language.
(2013-06-20, 09:05 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]We have not announced publicly which framework we'll be using, but several team members have announced support for Laravel. take that as you wish until there's a public announcement Wink

Regarding 5.5, glad it's here, but sad it'll take so long before it's usable in software such as MyBB. Many hosts still run PHP 5.2 (which is just stupid given the number of security issues out there) and some have only just started to use 5.3 (which itself is nearly EOL).
I am taking it as an "it's definitely possible" since the team will likely use something relatively light and comfortable.

I too am disgusted by the amount of hosts using PHP 5.2 and 5.3. So users can't update their old out-of-date scripts? That's their problem. If a version is near EOL, move on. Sadly it's not that simple Sad.
Quote:If a version is near EOL, move on. Sadly it's not that simple.

I agree that EOL should mean hosts stop supporting that version but not "near EOL". PHP 5.3 is still actively updated.
(2013-06-21, 11:25 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If a version is near EOL, move on. Sadly it's not that simple.

I agree that EOL should mean hosts stop supporting that version but not "near EOL". PHP 5.3 is still actively updated.

You're absolutely right, but as 5.4 is going to begin fading away over several months, 5.3 will be even farther back in the distance. By near EOL, I didn't mean a year, I mean a matter of months (such as 3-4 maybe). Like my school district which is now moving from WinXP to Win7 since WinXP is going EOL next Spring. 5.4 is definitely stable at this point, being at a .16 release.

Technically, 5.3 is going semi-eol now:
http://php.net/archive/2012.php
Quote:Please note that the PHP 5.3 series will enter an end of life cycle and receive only critical fixes as of March 2013. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4.
Quote:The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 5.4.10 and PHP 5.3.20. These releases fix about 15 bugs. Please note that the PHP 5.3 series will enter an end of life cycle and receive only critical fixes as of March 2013. All users of PHP are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.4.

I gotta step up and upgrade MyBB to 1.6.10 before I do the php 5.4 upgrade. It's a full day of work to do it. Sad
(2013-06-22, 01:12 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I gotta step up and upgrade MyBB to 1.6.10 before I do the php 5.4 upgrade. It's a full day of work to do it. Sad
All I have to say is "Enjoy!" Toungue

OnTopic: So who sees themselves developing something with generators on PHP 5.5? I still haven't completely wrapped my head around some of the changes in 5.5 and what they actually offer (maybe my C book will help me with that a little).
I plan on setting up a vagrant install later today with 5.5 just to test it and see how my current projects run on it.
Pages: 1 2