MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server CPU Process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone noticed PM.php seems to take up a good deal of processes on the server CPU. I've received a few messages from my host about the "maximum" processes they allow running on the CPU and that the forum had ran quite a lot and sent the CPU into an Extreme CPU usage state. The only time I'm aware it's happening is that, naturally, the site begins to lag on loading or a 404 error page pops up/site won't load at all. When I go into my hosts UCP I can see the server CPU running up to 20 processes out of my allotted 25. It seems to peek at a certain time of day and I'm aware it's probably due to when people go to use the PM system, but should it be taking up this much of the CPU's process power?
MyBB doesn't have a PM.php. You might be compromised.
You must be using ajax PM notification? Disable it and see.
Hi, I'm getting the same error now for some reason. I've not changed anything, and I can't find ajax PM notification anywhere.

This site has a lot more users than I have and yet it has been creating issues for a few weeks now yet I have not upgraded or added anything.

Processes hitting limits after it starts to get slow.
(2014-01-27, 01:45 PM)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm getting the same error now for some reason. I've not changed anything, and I can't find ajax PM notification anywhere.

This site has a lot more users than I have and yet it has been creating issues for a few weeks now yet I have not upgraded or added anything.

Processes hitting limits after it starts to get slow.
The only plugin I know of that uses pm.php is Ajax PM notification. It'd cause load problems due to the fact that it requests PM.php every 30 seconds for every open browser window. So if you have 30 users online, that's 60 additional requests in a minute, if they only have 1 tab open of your site.
OK. I've disabled all the plugins while I diagnose.

I have a limit of 20 processes. It seems to create one for every user hitting the site, so 20 concurrent users and I'm getting error messages.

Is that normal? Places like this site have a lot more users than I do yet work fine. Do they dedicate a server just for a forum?
Quote:Is that normal? Places like this site have a lot more users than I do yet work fine. Do they dedicate a server just for a forum?

We have two servers, one for the web server and one for the database server, though we serve millions of requests every week. Any decent web host should be able to host 20 concurrent users, going up to a few hundred.
(2014-01-27, 08:27 PM)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Is that normal? Places like this site have a lot more users than I do yet work fine. Do they dedicate a server just for a forum?

Yep, pretty much maxed out for a budget just so that every service can be happy and run fine for a few hours.