MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vBulletin 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes i do the same thing, and it's true, i add a new script called vb4 and taken his own function, that is because that tables are called on script in other way that original one, i tell this on one thread, so i added the new functions to the merge and works fine, only have to rename your tables on db or can to create a new script as i did and works fine, xD.
Sorry Nathan, that can't be. There is no way you can have a 3.8 version converted without making changes to the conversion script or your vB tables. There is no single vb 3.8 out there with an s behind those tables.
If you want a screenshot of 2 different vBulletin 3.8.7 versions with the tables, I can provide it for you.
As does this thread from 2007!
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbu...sn-t-exist
And I even found threads proving it being called this way from 2002 (vB 2.2.5).

Quote:This is the first I'm hearing about any of this
Sorry, but that is not true. You already heard from it in the thread you were pointing to, and from which I got the quote.

Next to that there is a 2 year old topic in the merge section over here, which also gave notice of this issue. So you did get reports.
I don't know either why not more then 2 or 3 vbulletin owners reported this, but it was in fact reported (even if it's not by many)

I'm not angry or anything, I'm sorry if my way of writing would give that impressium.

I just can't understand why this easy to lookup and to proove fact is just not believed and not changed, which would make life a lot easyer for new users.
Quote:Sorry Nathan, that can't be. There is no way you can have a 3.8 version converted without making changes to the conversion script or your vB tables. There is no single vb 3.8 out there with an s behind those tables.
If you want a screenshot of 2 different vBulletin 3.8.7 versions with the tables, I can provide it for you.
As does this thread from 2007!
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbu...sn-t-exist
And I even found threads proving it being called this way from 2002 (vB 2.2.5).

It certainly is. There must be some other factor involved. There are people on this forum who have converted successfully.

Quote:Sorry, but that is not true. You already heard from it in the thread you were pointing to, and from which I got the quote.

I meant since my time on this community. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote:Next to that there is a 2 year old topic in the merge section over here, which also gave notice of this issue. So you did get reports.
I don't know either why not more then 2 or 3 vbulletin owners reported this, but it was in fact reported (even if it's not by many)

I'm not angry or anything, I'm sorry if my way of writing would give that impressium.

I just can't understand why this easy to lookup and to proove fact is just not believed and not changed, which would make life a lot easyer for new users.

There currently aren't any dedicated Merge System developers. I only started looking in to the internals of the Merge System three days ago. As I said, it will be looked in to at some point but the Merge System in general needs a lot of work done.
Quote:It certainly is. There must be some other factor involved. There are people on this forum who have converted successfully.
The only factor I can think of is that they changed tables in vBulletin or in the script.
As I said you can easily check that vb 3.8 and 4.x installations all have those 2 table names without the s behind them.
If you want I'm prepared to start a thread over at vBulletin to ask them how and when this might have been with an s at the end.

Quote:As I said, it will be looked in to at some point but the Merge System in general needs a lot of work done.
That's all I'm asking for. Thanks!
The merge system looks fine except those little things. I just was getting a bit scared because it wasn't fixed in 2 years.
I also agree with blacktiger.

I also feel as though stating mybb does not support vb4 is quite stupid in my opinion. How do you guys expect new users to switch to mybb if you won't even support a merge system concurrent with the latest retail scripts?

After all, Oxygen gave you guys the edits to do it and the only response is submit to the dev and then you turn around and say we don't support vb4 lol. Yet you told them to post it on the dev tracker?

Just look @ how foolish that seems.

Just my 2 cents is all.
Quote:I also feel as though stating mybb does not support vb4 is quite stupid in my opinion. How do you guys expect new users to switch to mybb if you won't even support a merge system concurrent with the latest retail scripts?

There are no dedicated developers working on the Merge System. I only started looking at the internals of the Merge System a few days ago. It's not that we're purposely not supporting the Merge System, it's that very little of the developers have the time or the knowledge of how it works. We're all volunteers here remember. We're busy developing MyBB 1.6, MyBB 1.8, the Merge System, rewriting the docs, building the new website, developing the new mods site, supporting users in the community, all in our spare time. Priority wise, the Merge System is low.

Quote:After all, Oxygen gave you guys the edits to do it and the only response is submit to the dev and then you turn around and say we don't support vb4 lol. Yet you told them to post it on the dev tracker?

The development tracker is there (or was there, we've since moved to Github) to track development. We often had people posting patches there, it's better than having threads skewed across the forum.
I agree with your points nathan and i have nor hold anything against you in any regard when i say this. So please keep that in mind.

If 1.8 is the next cycle slated release and 2.0 is in the future. Then why is 2.0 even a concern now? Over 1.8 or issues that still reside in the 1.6 branch that have not been fixed?

I honestly see things from what you said sound more like a cry for help due to poor project management by someone else. I respect what you guys do, i also respect open source. I own licenses to a lot of paid software, yet see myself messing around with mybb due to it's flexibility.

Let's be realistic here though, 2.0 should not be anyone's concern over 1.8, and seeing all that's being released for 1.6 is security fixes time to time when reported when there is quite a bit of bug issues and other issues currently with 1.6, where is the focus really at?

The only new and current merge module right now for Mybb is the phpBB3 & SMF2, the rest of it is old and out dated.

All i'm trying to say is, it seems like someone put developers here @ mybb in a really rough situation by forcing them to commit to future projects and not exactly current or next cycle.

Kind regards,
- Smite

In fact here, not sure where to submit it.

However, here is the vb4 module took me a little over 3 minutes to do tops.
I never mentioned MyBB 2.0, everything I've stated is being done for MyBB 1.8. MyBB 2.0 doesn't exist.

As I said before, we do have a beta module already on Github.

https://github.com/mybb/MyBB-Merge/commi...2ed59c8c73
@Nathan: It's fixed now in the merge script, but just to prove that you were wrong and there were never tables like attachmentS and permissionS (with the S on the end) since a very long time, check this:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbu...ost4021384
Quote:The table are attachment and forumpermission in 3.8.x and going all the way back to 2.3.x, you can verify this by looking at the install/MySQL-schema.php file, or in vBulletin 2, the admin/install.php file
(2014-02-25, 01:30 PM)Black Tiger Wrote: [ -> ]@Nathan: It's fixed now in the merge script, but just to prove that you were wrong and there were never tables like attachmentS and permissionS (with the S on the end) since a very long time, check this:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbu...ost4021384
Quote:The table are attachment and forumpermission in 3.8.x and going all the way back to 2.3.x, you can verify this by looking at the install/MySQL-schema.php file, or in vBulletin 2, the admin/install.php file

I don't care for who was right and who was wrong. I never said you were wrong, nor implied I was right. All I said was I hadn't experienced this issue before but it will be looked in to.
Pages: 1 2