MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about Copyright Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I have a question.
According to copyright law, can an user buy a theme from a shop , translate and sale it again?

What's your opinion about download a ripped theme, translate it and sale it? !!!!!! Huh
Quote:According to copyright law, can an user buy a theme from a shop , translate and sale it again?

It depends on the license and what it permits.

(2013-06-24, 06:38 PM)M.Abbasi Wrote: [ -> ]What's your opinion about download a ripped theme, translate it and sale it? !!!!!! Huh

If you're downloading a theme illegally and trying to sell it illegally, it's most likely illegal...
(2013-06-24, 06:38 PM)M.Abbasi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I have a question.
According to copyright law, can an user buy a theme from a shop , translate and sale it again?

What's your opinion about download a ripped theme, translate it and sale it? !!!!!! Huh

It's not a very nice thing to do, contacting the original author of the theme and asking first would/should be the way to go in my opinion.

As for the law. It would depend on how far someone wanted to go, I would imagine it would be difficult if not impossible to track someone down in say Russia and prosecute him if you lived in the USA. And some countries would probably say, if you paid for it, then you could do what you liked with it as you own it.
I have a question.

You shouldn't have to translate much to begin with if the theme properly complies with the language variables. It's illegal regardless.
Thanks all for replies Smile
(2013-06-24, 08:00 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]
I have a question.

You shouldn't have to translate much to begin with if the theme properly complies with the language variables. It's illegal regardless.

The theme contains locale-specific images (such as "New Reply"). You might be able to legally sell any localized images you create for the theme, but you really should contact the theme owner.