MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How To Install Themes and Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to leave this question. I'm a total nube to MyBB though I've run an ISP since the very beginning days of the Internet. I've used phpBB for many years but it became too problematic, so I decided to convert over to MyBB which thus far as been better behaved.

But of course, MyBB has it's own way of doing things and I'm having some difficulties. I can find all sorts of information regarding creating a new theme or plugin but not much on installing them. When either uploading or importing via URL, I'm not clear on what file it wants, is it the '.zip' package? It blows up on that so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The board is wonderfully fast out of the box but I've got no content yet so it remains to be seen how it will do down the road.

Any good tips on how to install plugins and themes would be much appreciated. Thank you!
For plugins, there should be a readme provided with the plugin. If there's a single file, usually it should be uploaded to ./inc/plugins/. If there's an array of files and directories, usually they should be uploaded to the forum root.

From there, you can install/activate the plugins at ACP > Configuration > Plugins.

For themes, you upload the directory to /images/ and then import the xml file provided in the Zip.

Let me know if that's helpful at all. Smile
Dont worry in the start we are all noobies but after some experience we are all becoming Master Guru or something lol.
(2013-06-28, 08:13 PM)Donty Wrote: [ -> ]Dont worry in the start we are all noobies but after some experience we are all becoming Master Guru or something lol.

Thank you both. So far MyBB has run very clean and been less spam plagued than phpBB, but I want to customize the look and feel a bit. Thanks again!

I successfully got a theme installed and working. Thanks again for your help. For anyone interested, it's at http://www.eskimo.com/bbs/.

I'd appreciate anyone's input also how to successfully build a community again. I started Eskimo as a BBS back in 1982, originally hand coded z-80 assembly, then I wrote a combination host program / mangled basic (it patched into hooks in Microsoft BASIC and added a bunch of BBS specific keywords) and wrote a BBS in that, then worked with Glenn Gorman to make MiniBin work with my host program and ran a hacked up version of Minibin for many years.

Went to a Xenix platform in 1985, and switched to MicroMagic BBS, but it never garnered the audience the earlier BBS had, and really haven't had a good vibrant BBS community since.

So it would seem that a webified BBS takes something different than the old dial-in boards and I haven't successfully figured out exactly what that is.

I'm now running CentOS 6.4 on an I7-2600 platform, Apache 2.4.4, so lots of BBS software to choose from. I've run phpBB for many years but it was eaten by spammers and then pretty much dying of neglect. And then they told me I had to update to current MySQL for the next release, so I did so but it didn't run right with it and the next release never came.

Well, once again I want to thank you folks for helping me get started with the latest endeavor.
Now I've installed the iTech theme and it required a plugin be installed, so I've successfully done that as well. I know just enough now to be dangerous. Big Grin
(2013-06-27, 05:45 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]For plugins, there should be a readme provided with the plugin. If there's a single file, usually it should be uploaded to ./inc/plugins/. If there's an array of files and directories, usually they should be uploaded to the forum root.

From there, you can install/activate the plugins at ACP > Configuration > Plugins.

For themes, you upload the directory to /images/ and then import the xml file provided in the Zip.

Let me know if that's helpful at all.
Smile

I too am learning the MyBB structure and I'm looking for the default theme within the directory.
Upload to the theme to: /images/??
Perhaps you can direct me to the directory where themes would be stored?
(2013-07-19, 07:09 PM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-27, 05:45 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]For plugins, there should be a readme provided with the plugin. If there's a single file, usually it should be uploaded to ./inc/plugins/. If there's an array of files and directories, usually they should be uploaded to the forum root.

Let me know if that's helpful at all.
Smile

I too am learning the MyBB structure and I'm looking for the default theme within the directory.
Upload to the theme to: /images/??
Perhaps you can direct me to the directory where themes would be stored?

It would have been better if you created your own thread because from yesterday I was thinking that someone is working on this thread and the OP hopefully has found an answer.

The default theme is in the .images/ directory. To upload your theme, create a new folder in .images/ and name it the same as the theme or what you are instructed to name it.

Then go to ACP>Templates & Styles>Themes>Import a theme

Also, after importing the theme, double check the path to your themes folder in your newly uploaded theme settings.