MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Attempt Limit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I researched the forum and could not find a way to limit the number of registration attempts. Is there a setting to limit the number of registration attempts per IP? I received a report from Fassim Anti Spam (most awesome plugin) that one IP made 300 attempts to register (throttled the resources). I would like to limit the number of registration attempts one IP address can make to 3 per 24 hour period.

Thanks,
- Rich -
admin panel >> configuration >> settings >> User Registration and Profile Options --> see Time Between Registrations and Maximum Registrations Per IP Address
Hi,

I have 'Time Between Registrations' set to 24 hours and 'Maximum Registrations Per IP Address' set to one.

The setting 'Time Between Registrations' is described as:
Quote:The amount of time (in hours) to disallow registrations for users who have already registered an account under the same ip address.

I am understanding this setting only applies to an IP that has 'successfully' registered and not made an attempted to register. Many spammers will make many attempts to get through the registration process and not successfully register. So they will try again and again to break the captcha and other authentications.

I would like to limit these attempts so that if after three attempts to register with no success the IP is denied access to the registration process for 24 hours.

Thanks,
- Rich -
Hi,

Just bumping this. Smile

- Rich -
Hi,

Well as far as I can glean from the board here there is no way to limit the amount of times a bot/person can attempt to register (not successfully register, but attempt). This seems like a need feature as my logic here is there should be a cap on how many times an entity with the same IP can try and register and fail. Capping the number of unsuccessful registration attempts seems like an easy way to help limit spammers.

- Rich -
Hi,

Although not the solution I was looking for it is a very interesting plugin. I will give it a try as it looks like it will compliment my other spam plugins nicely.

Thanks,
- Rich -