MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum/Page not found errors after initial installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed MyBB 1.6 using quick install tool in HostGator Cpanel.

I installed in directory peak-oil.org/forum, and that link takes me to the home forum page (see 1st attached screenshot).

But after creating a couple of test forums, clicking on a forum takes me to a "Page Not Found" error page (peak-oil.org/forum/forum-5, 6, etc.) number) on our primary website (see other screenshot).

I thought subsequent URLs would be created automatically under peak-oil.org/forum, but apparently that is not happening.

Any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks, Jan
your forum folder consists of htaccess.txt file (link) - rename it as .htaccess
I tried to rename that file in Cpanel (I take it that's a period before the h) but it said that destination already exists (even though I don't see another file with that name).
^ admin panel >> configuration >> settings >> Server and Optimization Options --> Enable search engine friendly URLs?
select Disabled and save the settings
Hi .m., I forgot to say thank you the first time, so thanks twice.

I found the setting for search engine friendly URLs, but it was already disabled.

I think you were on the right track the first time with .htaccess, I'm just not sure how to correct it in a way Cpanel will accept.

FYI, I tried installing on another site and the same thing happened. I may need to install without using Quick Install.

Thanks much, Jan

Given that I don't quite know how to install via ftp or uninstall what I've done, I'm still hoping to resolve issue by fixing what I've already installed. Thanks for any suggestions. Jan

So, I have tried a few more things with the .htaccess file.

After attempting to change name from htaccess.txt to .htaccess (which it did not let me do because it said the file/destination already existed:

--Tried renaming it to htaccess (no preceding [dot]) which left the file there but did not fix the issue,

--Tried renaming it .htaccess-backup (w preceding dot) which it allowed but then the file disappeared altogether.

Anyone have any other ideas before I attempt to uninstall and try something else?

Please don't make me go with phpbb !! Thanks, Jan