MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Confusing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'd like to merge a Invision Power Board with mybb. I looked to wiki but I've got confused.

So here are the questions:
  • To run the merge system I must first install mybb on the server (That means new a database for the new forum correct?)
  • What happent's to the old forum? (Do I shut it down? Do I keep only the old database? or Do I have to install the new mybb empy forum into an other folder and start the mergin there?)
do you already have a MyBB forum ? if so take a backup of its database (<-- precaution) and then try merging IPB
if you do not have a MyBB forum then install a new forum and then do merging of IPB
Quote:To run the merge system I must first install mybb on the server (That means new a database for the new forum correct?)

Yes, it's advisable to create a new database.

Quote:Do I shut it down?

After the merge is complete, and you're happy with the result, you delete the old forum and move the MyBB installation to that directory. For example, if the old board is installed at / and the MyBB board is installed at /mybb/, you'd move the contents of /mybb/ to /.

Quote:Do I keep only the old database?

You should keep a backup of the old database, but keeping a live version isn't necessary.

Quote:Do I have to install the new mybb empy forum into an other folder and start the mergin there?)

Yes. You have to install MyBB first then upload the Merge System. Smile
One last question:

Nathan
If my installetion folder is /mybb/"all files of mybb" and my old forum is in /"all files of old forum + mybb folder" and I've done the mergin, then I must delete the old forum files and then in their place I sould put the files and folders in /mybb/.

The question is: If I do that, sould I change the code in config.php or even in settings.php in inc folder (After the mergin ofcource)?
^ config.php file consists of database details, admin directory and settings.php file consists of forum url & cookie settings.
you have to modify them when you change the forum path
hey!! I have a new problem, I put the merge folder into the install forder of mybb /mybb/install/merge/"files and folders of mergin". I've got some php errors!

SCREAM: Error suppression ignored for

Warning: require_once(C:\wamp\www\phpbb 3\mybb\install/inc/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\phpbb 3\mybb\install\merge\index.php on line 54

SCREAM: Error suppression ignored for

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'C:\wamp\www\phpbb 3\mybb\install/inc/config.php' (include_path='.;C:\php\pear') in C:\wamp\www\phpbb 3\mybb\install\merge\index.php on line 54
Have you installed MyBB? Does that file physically exist?

As below.
merge folder should be sub-folder of MyBB root folder (eg. /mybb/merge)
thanks .m. the mergin system worked perfectly!
Two minites ago I tested on my localhost with phpbb platform before I will use it on IP Board.
But now I have a small problem, I use my username and my password, it say's "Welcome Admin" etc. and then it put's me back on Guest index! How I 'll solve that?
First let me apologize because I'm probably going to be wasting someones time with these questions.

So I downloaded the merge system file, unzipped it and have a directory named mybb_1607 which contains 3 additional directories, Documentation, merge_1.6.10 and Upload.

I have myBB already installed and running on my local machine at this point in Apache root directory htdocs/FORUMS.

I created a new directory in FORUMS named merge and uploaded the 3 directories mentioned above into it.

So now what? I'm sure this is not how the process was intended but unfortunately I'm at a loss.

Thanks