MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some hosting questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just for my own sense of wanting to know and also trying to find hosts of which can be used for my projects in the future I would like to ask you some questions about it. You do not have to fill it in but I would love you forever if you did Heart

Feel free to avoid any questions you do not want to answer

Who are you currently hosted with?
What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year?
Within this, what disk space and bandwidth are you getting?
If you could move to a cheaper alternative with little/no effort, would you?
Why/Why not?
What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)?
What areas do you currently feel that webhosts could improve in?
How much disk space and bandwidth does your site currently use?
Are you hosting a website, blog or forum?
Any final comments

[b]Who are you currently hosted with?[/b]
[b]What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year?[/b]
[b]Within this, what disk space and bandwidth are you getting?[/b]
[b]If you could move to a cheaper alternative with little/no effort, would you?[/b]
[b][i]Why/Why not?[/i][/b]
[b]What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)?[/b]
[b]What areas do you currently feel that webhosts could improve in?[/b]
[b]How much disk space and bandwidth does your site currently use?[/b]
[b]Are you hosting a website, blog or forum?[/b]
[b]Any final comments[/b]

Thanks to anyone who fills this in.
Who are you currently hosted with? WebFaction, DigitalOcean and Linode
What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year? $9.50/mo, $5/mo, $20/mo
Within this, what disk space and bandwidth are you getting? 100GB,600GB / 20GB,1TB / 25GB,2TB
If you could move to a cheaper alternative with little/no effort, would you? No
Why/Why not? Cheaper, in my experience, means a much worse experience. I do aim to cut down on how many servers I'm running though. I'm looking at moving everything to just WebFaction and DigitalOcean and closing my Linode account.
What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)? Webfaction has truly amazing support and the best server setup I've ever seen. Digitalocean has a vast and powerful API allowing me to spin up and destroy Droplets (VPS instances) whenever I need/want to. Linode has stellar uptime and reliability and can always be depended on. They also have crazy speeds.
What areas do you currently feel that webhosts could improve in? None really, though DigitalOcean could add a few datacentres (London would be very welcome).
Are you hosting a website, blog or forum? All 3
Any final comments Don't cheap out on hosting if you can. Choose a host that will last.
Initiotech, WebSupporters, Dollar2Host
What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year?
$30 PA, $24 PA, $24 PA
1GB|25GB|1 domain, Unlimited|Unlimited|2 domains, Unlimited|Unlimited|Unlimited domains
I may switch to IcyNetwork if they finally start hosting.
Why/Why not?
Just to support them.
What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)?
Initiotech: Personal support from the owner, even in personal skype and over phone as well. He is our friend and a member of MyBB Community Big Grin
-pass-
150MB | 18GB / month
Forum (basically as a design / coding / support / freelance site).
Any final comments
May be this is me but I prefer going for hosting from old providers, preferably people I'm in touch with and can contact as and when required. I don't like all the mail spamming from support and ticket thread games. Even a dangerous problem can be solved in 15 minutes with that method Big Grin
Thank you very much you two Smile
I have a VMWare ESXi server with imagineLayer

At the present, it levels out to $100/m (US, so more for me at the moment)

500GB HDD, 8GB RAM... and 10TB Bandwidth

No. I like to manage my own hardware, and I run my own Microsoft Exchange mail server, so that won't be happening.

Why/Why not?
As above.

10/10. As long as I notify that I will be late paying (as I have done for this fortnight) my service is kept online until I say I am going to make payment.

-

Which part (I will answer this, but I need specifics).

All 3, technically. And a dev site, and a Domain Controller, and a Mail Server, and my blog, and a remote PC.

Any final comments
Good luck to you.

EDIT: Cleaned up my post
SecureDragon
$74.99 USD (VPS, I don't use shared hosting as I find VPSs easier)
5gb disk, 500gb bw, 256mb ram (customized plan and legacy pricing)
No
Why/Why not?
Not worth the risk of downtime, and a new host likely won't match the DDoS protection either.
Excelent uptime and support.
webhosts in general? Transparency. When something goes wrong, I want to know why.
4gb disk, 120gb bw
forum
Any final comments
Who are you currently hosted with? Hosting99
What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year? 15$ year
Within this, what disk space and bandwidth are you getting? 1gb,unlimited band
If you could move to a cheaper alternative with little/no effort, would you?nope
Why/Why not?hard to find something cheaper. Also the support system in amazing, live chat + ticket system with answer in less than 2 hours
What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)? Like I said, incredible support.
What areas do you currently feel that webhosts could improve in?Probably software support, but this is probably asking too much.
How much disk space and bandwidth does your site currently use?I've just opened it again, so 500 mb of disk and around 1 gb of band. For now.
Are you hosting a website, blog or forum?forum and soon a website too.
Any final commentsidk xD
I'll would just basically copy and paste what Euan said for the most part. I would only add a third vps provider to the list and that would be 6syncWink.
(2013-07-02, 07:15 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Who are you currently hosted with? WebFaction, DigitalOcean and Linode
What price are you currently paying for your webhost package (shared hosting, one account) per year? $9.50/mo, $5/mo, $20/mo
Within this, what disk space and bandwidth are you getting? 100GB,600GB / 20GB,1TB / 25GB,2TB
Why/Why not? Cheaper, in my experience, means a much worse experience. I do aim to cut down on how many servers I'm running though. I'm looking at moving everything to just WebFaction and DigitalOcean and closing my Linode account.
What do you like about your current webhost (apart from the price and package size)? Webfaction has truly amazing support and the best server setup I've ever seen. Digitalocean has a vast and powerful API allowing me to spin up and destroy Droplets (VPS instances) whenever I need/want to. Linode has stellar uptime and reliability and can always be depended on. They also have crazy speeds.
What areas do you currently feel that webhosts could improve in? None really, though DigitalOcean could add a few datacentres (London would be very welcome).
Any final comments Don't cheap out on hosting if you can. Choose a host that will last.

I vouch for WebFaction too. Truly an amazing webhost provider with great support.
(2013-07-08, 09:17 PM)Race Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-02, 07:15 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Who are you currently hosted with? WebFaction, DigitalOcean and Linode

I vouch for WebFaction too. Truly an amazing webhost provider with great support.

I vouch as well.
Pages: 1 2