MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MYBB Future Concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A lot of people say they don't like the side nav. That is very interesting. Also a perfectly fine statement on its own.

However, anybody mind explaining what they don't like about it or how they'd make their ideal nav?

My thoughts behind the side nav: I thought the traditional way of displaying the structure of a discussion board was unnecessary use of real state. While I believe the structure (categorization/ 'directorization') of a forum is one of the main aspects of this online medium, the cost benefit of having it span the entire 'landing area' of the forum is doubtful. Showing the number of threads AND posts is of marginal benefit to a 'casual' user IMHO. Thus I decided to create a layout that emphasized content over navigation.

I timidly admit I took inspiration from the ideas of the so called 'post-PC' (I don't like this term) era of computing. Where file systems, that categorize/'directorize', seem to have been replaced by more loose systems of organizations.

Either way, I'd love to see if anybody can show something crazily different or present ideas unheard! Go creative guys and keep the great discussion going!
I'm not a huge fan of side nav either, but I think it can be good if done right. I really don't like it being the sole or even main method of navigation, but I think it can work well in conjunction with other methods. It does look nice though.
(2013-07-04, 03:32 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a huge fan of side nav either, but I think it can be good if done right. I really don't like it being the sole or even main method of navigation, but I think it can work well in conjunction with other methods. It does look nice though.

I completely agree. Some of the best sites that I have seen have had side navigation. However, basically and mostly all of those sites had some sort of navigation which was not on the side.
Pages: 1 2