MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MYSQL INT ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just noticed that the mybb mysql database structure uses "INT" for fields like receivepms, pmnotice etc..... These fields are only ever going to have a single number value, so my question is why does mybb not use "SMALLINT" for fields like this ? An INT uses 4 times the storage compared to a SMALLINT.
MyBB's database schema is as old as the codebase. Chances are that's the choice Chris made a decade ago, or possibly even from when he was working on XMB.

Performance wise, unless you have a large dataset it's unlikely you'll notice any difference.
(2013-07-05, 09:34 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB's database schema is as old as the codebase. Chances are that's the choice Chris made a decade ago, or possibly even from when he was working on XMB.

Performance wise, unless you have a large dataset it's unlikely you'll notice any difference.

Yea I would imagine you would need a relatively massive database for it to be noticeable. Just thought I'd mention it.