MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to archive category?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just wanted to archive a forum under a category and wanted it to be moved to somewhere where search engines and users still browse the link.

Is that possible?
in the forum management you can edit forum options

admin panel >> forums & posts >> forum management >> click on a forum (or click on options button) >>
edit forum settings --> scroll down for Additional Forum options
--> Access Options --> untick forum is open? and save forum
I already saw that option. But the forum still stays in the category. Do i manually need to move out?

In case if i create archived forums category, how many forums will be displayed on the home page?

How many forums can stay in a category? Will there be any paging for additional forums?
closed forums appear in category on the index page. however you can make a new category named
"archives" and move the closed forums to that archives category.

all forums are listed under the category - there is no pagination system for the index page.

if you do not want to show certain forums on the index page then you can try this method
I didn't find #cat_77 on my forum.
The archived category has too many forums. I want to have only latest five archived forum on the index page.
^ suggested method is just an example (please read that thread)

there is a bit complex method to hide forums on the index page --> link

and there is a paid plugin for the required purpose --> link
Is it possible to collapse a particular category on home page?
Is it going to keep displaying all the forums in category on home page without any limit on query?

If i have 1000 archived forums on a closed category, will it query all those forums without any limit?
^ at present there is no limit for the forums listing on the index page. if you use sub-forums then there can be a limit.
admin panel >> configuration >> settings >> Forum Home Options --> Subforums to show on Index listing

And whether it is forums or sub-forums, we do not suggest to have too many of them !
Now, My forum has only one category.

Under this category, there will be five (or so) active forums and one archived forum. This is what i have done now.
I move the active forums to archive forum's subforum.

Now the home page is looking good. Still I am facing two problems.

If i click archived forums, It displays so many subforums without any pagination. and I want to reverse the order of the subforums.

**) I need to add paging to the subforums.
**) I want to display the latest archived subforum in top.

I know little bit of coding in PHP and i have confidence i can easily do this if you can guide me on this..

Help giving the file names to be modified for this.
Or if you have any advice which will make the work more easier, please let me know.

any help?
forum management at the admin panel has forum orders setting - categories & forums are displayed with this order.
just for testing, I've tried setting 1 as the display order for all categories & forums but it doesn't help in getting sorted
forums display (in order of the latest posts)

if you like to trace the forum display order then you can try checking forumdisplay.php & inc/functions_forumlist.php files