MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum posts as comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

As part of the WP plugin I am writing I am going to write a forum posts as comments.

I want to keep the databases apart, and I do not want direct querying the forum database, I just can't see this as overall valuable.

The ways I am considering doing this are

1 - When a new reply is made, if there is a link in the wp_link table for that thread, an XML file is generated with the new post data with all posts etc (using the feedgenerator class)

2 - Have a task that runs every 30 minutes or so that goes and generates an XML or HTML file with all the comments

I am thinking the best way is the on reply method and have these stored as XML files in a specific location and then pull them into WP. We could do the same with HTML files I guess. This way the database is only touched when it needs to be and the wordpress site will only pull in the comments straight from an XML file location rather than having to make a connection and request into the mybb system.

I actually think this could be somewhat useful in general.

What are your thoughts on doing things this way?

Dan
what about just using a wordpress plugin that aggregates RSS feeds and then use the built-in MyBB syndication? perhaps modify the WP plugin a bit to output the way you want them.

if the WP plugin can direct the feed to a specific post/page/blog, then you can pull multiple MyBB feeds by forum(s) and direct them accordingly.
(2013-07-08, 03:38 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]what about just using a wordpress plugin that aggregates RSS feeds and then use the built-in MyBB syndication? perhaps modify the WP plugin a bit to output the way you want them.

if the WP plugin can direct the feed to a specific post/page/blog, then you can pull multiple MyBB feeds by forum(s) and direct them accordingly.

The current syndication only grabs the first post for each thread from forums, which will not suit. Hence why I need to create a plugin that builds this on the fly.

I can build an RSS plugin which grabs the post data upon request, my issue here is that a lot of hits to the article could end up spinning a lot of database requests, whereas just building a flat file upon reply should cut down on a lot of overheads here.

I think what I may do is leverage both. So on I can use the current syndication and add my own stuff to it and offer a choice to generate on reply instead if people want.

Dan

Have this working creating an rss2.0 now.
http://www.silvertails.net/silvertails/m...ticle=7152

Just need to add the wordpress side