MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: One central DB for multiple sites?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I was wondering if i could have one central DB for multiple forums?
Example:
Quote:
My Sites...
mysite.com/forum - MyBB
mysite.com/gaming - IPB
mysite.com/extra - VB

A member do not have to make multiple accounts, but instead they can just registered for one and be registered for all!

*I can't pick between each software... so i'm just going to use all Smile
That would be a very complex setup with a lot of potential issues. With one system it would be easier, but with multiple software... It really isn't worth the effort.
(2013-07-09, 06:48 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]That would be a very complex setup with a lot of potential issues. With one system it would be easier, but with multiple software... It really isn't worth the effort.

I agree with Nathan.

For original poster, if you use MyBB for all three sites then it would be extremely easy with less issues.
(2013-07-09, 04:39 PM)Race Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-09, 06:48 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]That would be a very complex setup with a lot of potential issues. With one system it would be easier, but with multiple software... It really isn't worth the effort.

I agree with Nathan.

For original poster, if you use MyBB for all three sites then it would be extremely easy with less issues.

Even if that would be like that, It's quite better to have separated databases for all forums, organisation is better, same as optimisation, and many things more.
All 3 support table prefixes I think (IPB I am not sure about) but that would make it easier to manage the tables for each forum. However, as stated, it would still be a PITA to manage overall and keep optimized.
Ok so what about creating a registration script that would simple register a user into all 3 sites? So if a user goes to mysite.com/gaming/member?action=register then a it will display a page that a member can register in... Then from that, the form will register then member into each DB.

So really, I can still keep all my DB separate.
I have wanted to create a forum just like what you stated above.

There's 3 problem with that
1. It's a pain but it's possible with hard coding. (Database system is an issue)
2. You will need to make 3 different sub-domain in your host account.
3. It's hard to configure in your web-host to link all three together (Such as same logins where you don't have to keep login in at different domain.)

In the end, I realized it's not worth it but you can try and make a categorized forum using this plugin.
http://mods.mybb.com/view/mytabs

Hope this help.