MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: subdomain session error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I just created a subdomain from my site for my forum via cpanel, although I have been using it as a subdirectory previously.

It is now available from subdomain.domain.com but the login session is invalid (eg. everytime I sign in and is redirected back, I'm still a guest.) I have edited the url and cookie settings through general configurations as well as inc/settings.php and I'm pretty sure it's all correct. Is there any steps that I missed?

Secondly, I have not gone public with my forum yet since its still in beta stage, is there a need to redirect my subdirectory to subdomain to close all links or its fine leaving it in the open? (My subdomain and subdirectory both have different namings).

Thanks in advance.
This was exactly what was happening to me about 2 hours ago.

Try doing these:
1. clear your browser cache/cookies
2. Exit out of your browser
3. Log back in.

If it doesn't work, then try again. Toungue But I don't know, because I've done these step before and it didn't work but worth a try.
recheck your cookie settings - follow this guidance
though your forum is not public yet, its better to redirect the sub-folder to sub-domain
I'm having the problem right now actually. Guidance doesn't help though.
I actually looked through the guidance earlier while looking for a solution, but thanks to your reminder I double-checked. Turned out that I was missing a trailing slash, and its working now!
Thanks a lot =)

ps. is there any other way of redirecting other than editing .htaccess?
^ for the redirects, either you have to use the redirect tool available at web host panel or use .htaccess method
I tried using the redirect tool via hostgator but this error appeared.

"You cannot redirect "myBB" to "http://forum.domain.com" as this will cause a redirection loop because "/home/public_html/myBB" is at the same place as "/home/public_html/myBB"."

or how do i go about using the .htaccess method? I tried putting the code below into .htaccess but was returned with an error saying it's trying to redirect to the same page.

"RewriteRule ^myBB(.*)$ http://forum.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]"

Since it is basically the same folder, is there a way for me to bypass this?
^ oh, please leave that redirecting until you get expert guidance. 301 redirect is cached by browsers and its difficult to revert back.