MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ipboard or MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've wanted to start a forums recently cause I love them, but I've got like no experience in developing one, but I've got a friend who's really good at it but he works on Ipboard and Imo I like the Ipboard forums a lot better than MyBB just the way they look I'd prefer the Ipboard, but it cost so much more, I don't know if I can afford it, MyBB is free correct? But If I were to start out would it be best to start with MyBB or something else? Cause I don't really have the money for Ipboard. I know I can get a version of Ipboard were you don't pay as much but you don't get all the features.

I just don't know where to start really.
MyBB forum software is absolutely free. And many believe that MyBB is better than other free forum scripts
MyBB is 100% free and open source. You don't have to pay a cent. Smile

If you can't afford IPB, go with MyBB and see how well it works for you. You can customize MyBB as much as you want and with thousands of free plugins it's likely you'll find everything you need. Smile
(2013-07-14, 02:18 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is 100% free and open source. You don't have to pay a cent. Smile

If you can't afford IPB, go with MyBB and see how well it works for you. You can customize MyBB as much as you want and with thousands of free plugins it's likely you'll find everything you need. Smile

Thanks, that's great, I've just started from Ipbaord some I'm more used to it and I do like how it looks but yeah I'll probably try this out for sure. ^_^
Just a little comparision:

MyBB - core and many themes/plugins for free (there are even IPB-like themes for free, for example this), premium well-looking themes $10-$30, subscription on few sites with premium plugins - $50.

IPBoard - 175$ for the core and many themes/plugins for free, 6 months, then need to pay smaller amounts each next 6 months to keep all features and support, custom/premium themes/plugins more expensive than in MyBB.

Not all IPB features/plugins are available for MyBB, but not all MyBB features/plugins are available for IPB as well. MyBB - more time to spend, IPB - more money to spend to get a nice looking forum with unique features. So if you don't want to pay much, MyBB is a good start for you.
You're asking this question on a MyBB forum; the majority of members are going to say MyBB.

However, my honest and non biased opinion would be to go with MyBB. If you're after a paid software, XenForo is the best.
(2013-07-14, 02:16 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB forum software is absolutely free. And many believe that MyBB is better than other free forum scripts

Honestly MyBB is better than some paid forum softwares too.