MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I make profile links direct?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to know if it's possible to make profile links direct. I don't know if this is the correct term, but what I mean by this is if my username on the forum is "James", is there anyway I can make it so that other members of my forum can go to http://myforumaddress.com/James as opposed to http://myforumaddress.com/member.php?act...file&uid=1

Any plugins for this? I understand this is complicated and it's half accomplishable using Google SEO, however, I do not want to use that.

Thanks for any replies!
If you use googleseo plugin you could change it to
forum/user-james

I don't think it would be possible or practical to change it to simply
forum/james
as there would be no way to distinguish a user profile link from any other link without any sort of prefix.

I guess something like this could be possible
forum/user/james
(2013-07-16, 02:33 PM)ronangelo Wrote: [ -> ]If you use googleseo plugin you could change it to
forum/user-james

I don't think it would be possible or practical to change it to simply
forum/james
as there would be no way to distinguish a user profile link from any other link without any sort of prefix.

I guess something like this could be possible
forum/user/james

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to use Google SEO, but thanks for the suggestion. Does anybody else have any other thoughts?
The only answer is going to be Google SEO, currently there are no alternatives. Why don't you want to use it so much? You've asked a question hat most members on this board will reply with Google SEO or not at all. B saying that you know about Google SEO and describing it, but you don't want it as your solution is a bit odd. Coming back to my question; why wouldn't you use Google SEO if it fits the specifications that you need to for fill?
(2013-07-16, 07:15 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]The only answer is going to be Google SEO, currently there are no alternatives. Why don't you want to use it so much? You've asked a question hat most members on this board will reply with Google SEO or not at all. B saying that you know about Google SEO and describing it, but you don't want it as your solution is a bit odd. Coming back to my question; why wouldn't you use Google SEO if it fits the specifications that you need to for fill?

I don't want to install a plugin that's not needed for the majority of the features. I only want it for member profile "shortening" if you will. Google SEO also doesn't completely work how I would like it to in as much as the profile has "User-" at the beginning of the URL. Never mind, I guess I'll just have to stick to how it is by default
Google SEO could do it, not that I'd recommend it, but it would meet your requirement completely.

You can disable the features you don't like and the URL scheme is customizable. It does forum.com/James if you really want it to. The problems that arise because of it (is forum.com/admin the admin's user profile or the Admin CP?) you would have with any other solution that does the same thing also. URL scheme conflicts are only partly a limitation of Google SEO, mainly it's a limitation of how URLs and rewrites work in general.

Quote:I only want it for member profile "shortening" if you will.

If you don't want the name at all, but just a different URL with the ID, you could change PROFILE_URL in inc/init.php. That could give you for example, forum.com/123 for user 123. Which is quite short and relatively conflict-free ("numbers only" isn't usually used by anything else).

Quote:saying that you know about Google SEO and describing it, but you don't want it as your solution is a bit odd

Some people want ice cream but only if it doesn't have sprinkles on it. Can't make everyone happy I guess.
Hi! I have a problem. From two years I use Google SEO Plugin. Since version 1.6.5 I see the error (in the admin panel). My Settings: Forum URL scheme -> Forum-{url}, Thread URL scheme -> {url} and other default. Error:
URL scheme conflict between 'Event-{url}' and '{url}'.
URL scheme conflict between 'Calendar-{url}' and '{url}'.
URL scheme conflict between 'User-{url}' and '{url}'.
URL scheme conflict between 'Announcement-{url}' and '{url}'.
URL scheme conflict between '{url}' and 'Forum-{url}'.

But.. everything is working properly. If so, can it be? I'm sorry for my English. Thank you frostschutz for this plugin! Greetings from Poland!