MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Allowing the OP and users from a specific group to reply to a thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a puzzler for you, so i want to implement a section into my forum that users can post their questions and subject matter experts can respond, i don't want just anyone to be able to respond to the created threads, only the user who created the thread and anyone in the SME group

does anyone have any idea how i could achieve this?

Thanks,

Ben
Not really hard. You would have to change the group permissions for that forum.

ACP>Forums & Posts>Forum Management>FORUM Name>Permissions

For the registered group, check Can only view own threads?.

That will make the registered group or if you want any other group, to be able to view only their own threads and not others. Leave the admin and mods group permissions the same.
(2013-07-17, 07:35 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]Not really hard. You would have to change the group permissions for that forum.

ACP>Forums & Posts>Forum Management>FORUM Name>Permissions

For the registered group, check Can only view own threads?.

That will make the registered group or if you want any other group, to be able to view only their own threads and not others. Leave the admin and mods group permissions the same.

Thank you for your response, and that is a great solution (being an idiot i forgot about custom permissions)

however, is there anyway (perhaps a plugin?) that i could instead of stopping others from viewing instead stopping them from responding?

This would be nice because it would still stop those who don't know what they are talking about from responding but they could still learn from the responses of the SME's

Edit: also the solution you provided stops users from seeing the stuck instructions thread on how to use the subforum
No, the instructions I provided work on all the threads in the forum. As for disallowing others, use custom permissions to prevent them from viewing other peoples thread.
^ yes, but that doesn't solve the problems, either i need a way to have an announcement post visable to everyone while all user created threads are only visable to the user who created and those in the SME group, or i need a way to make it so only those who created the thread to reply (as well as the SME group)

Just a quick update any fyi for anyone trying to do something similar:

It's not the most elegant solution but i was able achieve what i was trying to do:

what i did was first converted the subform into a category, and gave default permissions to it so anyone could see things posted in it (yes i know you can't post threads direct to a category) i then created a sub form to the category where users can submit their questions, this sub forum is set so that you can only view your own threads unless part of the SME group.

Finally, i created an announcement and tied it to the created category, this circumvented the rules of the subforum and allowed viewing of the message.

I would still be interested in seeing if their is a way to set it up so only the OP and those in the SME group can reply, but this seems to be working and I'm happy Smile

Thank you for your help Arbaz!

Ben
Why not instead of adding a sticky, add forum rules?