MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Plugins] Direct To A MyBB Copy From MyBB Downloads Section
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So this feature is currently present in Wordpress. It looks real cool.
It would be nice if we add the same in myBB. Coz lazy people like me & people with slow internet have (again like me Toungue) have problems:
Googling a plugin -> Visiting myBB.com Downloads -> Clicking Download -> Accept Licence -> Downloading to my Hardisk -> Logging in to cPanel -> Going to Filemangaer -> Uploading plugin (Either file by file or one archive both take approxiametly equal time) -> Going to ACP -> Activating it -> Configuring it -> Done!

Don't you think its quite lengthy?

What if:

Mybb ACP -> Plugins Section -> Searching a plugin -> (Suppose their exists a button for "Install on server" & a checkbox for "ACTIVATE immidietly"?) -> Setting it up -> done!

The second way looks easy Big Grin (atleast to me Toungue)

Forgive my typos, its hard to type stuff when you are having fever & cough
This has been suggested before but as plugins don't have a required file structure we can't reliably install plugins for users.
By this: "but as plugins don't have a required file structure" you mean current Plugins?

Why not include both features, like plugins that have the Required Codes (as per you) must be included in that section while the CURRENT ones can be installed as we do them now.
MyBB 1.8 is a minor release and we don't want plugin authors to have to update all their plugins. That's why it's more likely to be a 2.0 feature as no plugins from the 1.x series will work on 2.0 anyway.
Perhaps you don't understand my english Big Grin (my Bad)

Anyways Big Grin I can still do the Upload work using the the current method Big Grin Hats off too all those who are involved in coding it. Big Grin GL.
I am a former SMF user, and I can say that the extremely strict requirements from SMF plugins, while it helps to solve some issues, was a bit annoying in a lot of ways. I agree that it would be a nice feature, but if it requires making MyBB's plugin standards the same as SMF's plugin standards so that the automatic installer will work, I think it might hurt the community of hard-working plugin designers more than it will help the community of users.

If it could be implemented in 2.0 in a way that doesn't require ridiculous standards, I'm all for the idea.
(2013-07-18, 04:13 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]This has been suggested before but as plugins don't have a required file structure we can't reliably install plugins for users.

Is it not possible to use something like Plugin Uploader's code? AFAIK the only caveat when uploading that is that the file must be sensibly packed (ie you can't try to upload a plugin where the path to the plugin file is foo/bar/some/other/crap/here/and/a/little/more/inc/plugins/foobar.php). Most people conform to this -- in the .zip there's usually some documentation, and an Upload folder containing the relevant files. Or just a .php file.
/Upload/inc/plugins/plugin.php

/inc/plugins/plugin.php

plugin.php

/files/inc/plugins/plugin.php

plugin.php
plugin.lang.php

There are many possibilities. Uploading plugins manually is more reliable and isn't too much hassle for most people. It's something we'll definitely consider in the future.
@Nathan,

I think you guys should think on it. I don't think MUCH scripts offer it. So IT WILL BE A REAL ADVANTAGE FOR MYBB!!!!

Also,

Have you read about IPB 4.0 release news? They are really breath taking mate. You should really think of making mybb even better.

They recently announced that the EDITOR buttons will be DRAGGABLE! that is one can easily add new buttons to the editor or remove them using drag and drop! EPIC!.

Big Grin
Quote:You should really think of making mybb even better.

We do that constantly with every release. If you follow the development on Github you can see everything we're doing in 1.6 and 1.8.