MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disk space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Who has a big board? and what amount of disk space does your forum take uP?
It depends entirely on the forum. If your posts are long on average they could take up 3-4 times the amount of space as a big board that's based on posts of only a few words per post.
Very true. I am just wondering if I should just stick to one type of topic or several. I know if I do several, it will be a lot more disk space. I just dont know if I would be able to afford it if it did end up getting bigger.
A few hundred megs get you a long way... and most hosting plans offer several gigabytes nowadays, so in other words, disk space is usually not the problem with forums, unless you do something that requires tons and tons of attachments...

I currently have 5.2GB but 4.7GB of that is the backup folder, which is, well, entirely optional if you don't keep old backups around.
depends on

- amount of posts (threads and forums are small tables)
- amount of attachments
- max allowed size of attachments
- attachment quota per group
Disk space isn't really an issue when it comes to web hosting. I think that's one of the things people should be least worried about, even for larger websites.
Indeed we live in an age of cheap memory (both RAM and HD) so you're most expensive issue will probably be CPU.
Our iPodWizard site's latest backup totals as such after bz2 compression:
Raw MySQL data: 373MB for 11,780 members with 427,179 posts in 35,287 threads, though the size is basically doubled due to the fact that that also includes the vB database that it was converted from (which I finally got off my lazy butt and dropped so our next backup should be better)
Attachments and other files: 6.53GB, though we need to go through and figure out how much is cruft left over from previous lives.
If we're talking large websites which is dedicated server level then we're talking a lot of available disk space (especially as with a dedicated server its 100% your resources to use).

For example our entry level dedicated server offers a minimum of 250GB space ranging up to 1TBx4 (either in RAID or not) giving you PLENTY of space.

Don't worry to much about space, more about bandwidth, CPU etc...

Of course every website is different in the way it takes up space so it really depends on to many variables to give you a fixed number.