MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can you search a thread?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to search a thread for replies made by a certain author or containing certain words, or can you only search a board?
Yes. To search by certain author, go to your forums search page (/search.php) then enter an username for the "Search by Username" field.

To search specific words, type in the words in "Search by Keyword" then tick Search Entire Post.

To search one forum, in the "Search in Forum(s)" just select the forum to be searched.
Arbaz, I'm attempting to search for these within a specific thread. The methods you've explained only allow you to search either the entire forums, or a specific board.
^ MyBB's default stock theme has thread search option ! (showthread_search template)
(2013-08-28, 02:08 PM)Monkeys Wrote: [ -> ]Arbaz, I'm attempting to search for these within a specific thread. The methods you've explained only allow you to search either the entire forums, or a specific board.

you could send a tail to search.php ... youmay need to make some mods to search.php may allow you to send data such as
<input type="hidden" name="forums" value="all" />
<input type="hidden" name="showresults" value="threads" />i
<input type="text" class="textbox" id="author" name="author" size="35" maxlength="{$mybb->settings['maxnamelength']}" />
<input type="text" name="keywords" value="Search..." onfocus="if(this.value == 'Search...') { this.value = ''; }" onblur="if(this.value=='') { this.value='Search...'; }" class="input" size="25" />
this will search subject and by altering the value from 'all' to the forum you wish to search will narrow the search to a forum & keyword & author
you can search a thread directly. By default, its at the bottom of the postbits above the new reply button. it is keyword serach only, you cannot search by user this way.
(2013-08-28, 07:27 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]you can search a thread directly. By default, its at the bottom of the postbits above the new reply button. it is keyword serach only, you cannot search by user this way.

so my method will not work ?
that may work, but the OP was asking about searching within a specific thread.
(2013-08-28, 07:51 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]that may work, but the OP was asking about searching within a specific thread.

hence changing the value from all to the value of the thread ...
i.e
<input type="hidden" name="forums" value="all" />
could change to
<input type="hidden" name="forums" value="current forum" />

current forum being found from the mybb array ?
but that is searching all threads in a forum, not within a specific thread.
Pages: 1 2