MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Alias Implementation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, hows it going?
I'm about to open my forums in the next 60 days or so but before i do i want to cover all my basics. One of the things i want to do is use an alias system. Before i go on, let me just say this is NOT about usernames. With that being said, i hope i can explain this clearly.

Recently i read somewhere ( i think it was the documentation for an image gallery script) that there is a way to make certain folders (image folders in my case) on the server have a different name (alias)when linked to posts. Is there a way to do that outside of using a script or plugin?

So basically, say i have a custom made folder within my image folder on the server (ex. images/customfolder/). How do i go about making it so that when i use the images in that folder and link them to a post in the forums, when/if someone decides to download said image it won't show the direct address (ex. http://www.thissite.com/images/customfolder/random.jpg), but show something else (ex. http://www.thissite.com/images/7658/random.jpg).
I'm looking for a way to do this without having to manually go in and change the folder names and structure.

Another question i have is, would it be lucrative to the security of my files to implement a no right-click script or code to further prevent people from snagging my files and images? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

I'm just looking for any suggestions rally, especially on how to prevent people from getting direct linking access to my images and other files on my server.
If right click is disabled; People will be able to view source and move on further from there. Disabling right click would just make it annoying for the members who are just contributing.

As for not showing the real address for the images, that is possible but not sure how. I know it's not a complicated process but I just don't know how to implement it thus can't provide the steps/instructions.
(2013-07-22, 11:32 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]If right click is disabled; People will be able to view source and move on further from there. Disabling right click would just make it annoying for the members who are just contributing.

As for not showing the real address for the images, that is possible but not sure how. I know it's not a complicated process but I just don't know how to implement it thus can't provide the steps/instructions.

Yeah. I know that the source code is there, i use it sometimes to get images and videos i normally shouldn't. I'm not really going to be dealing with people who know much about source code or computers beyond the normal stuff. I'm just looking for a way to keep my server load down or at least keep the noobs in check. Anything will do really. I have a script applied to my website that stops it from happening but not for the forums.
^ MyBB system folders are not directly accessible. it is not easy to get all the files names to download in bulk