MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: blank page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I'm a new user here. I tried a new install on my site deepdiscuss.com but when the tables are created and I click next to populate them, it shows only a blank page. Source has nothing. I deleted the whole mybb files and reuploaded everything again and tried again. Still the same. Deleted again, downloaded mybb again, extracted, uploaded, changed permissions and started installation. Still the same. Sad
I have correctly changed permissions as highlighted of needed files and then started those installs. Bit irritated that I have to delete all the files and upload 'all' files again when the blank page comes just to try installing again. Takes sometime and I really wanted to start using mybb forum.

I really don't know what I have done wrong. Can anyone help me pls?
When you were setting up the database, did you enter incorrect details by any chance?
What is your MySQL version? Also, did you try contacting your host?
(2013-07-30, 09:44 PM)McCoist Wrote: [ -> ]When you were setting up the database, did you enter incorrect details by any chance?

On the first try I did make a mistake with the username password but not on later tries.
A blank page usually indicates an internal server error. Check your error log for more information.
(2013-07-30, 10:33 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]What is your MySQL version? Also, did you try contacting your host?

Sql version is 5.6.x more than version 5 so I knew I didn't have to do the edits if the version was below 5. My host is Bluehost which I believe a few have already used to host mybb as I have read searching on google. Obviously I must have done something wrong....

My hunch is, I changed the permissions of the needed files with filezilla by right clicking on the files instead of doing it through something like myphpadmin. I have heard that it is best to do it that way but my host provider logs me out every 10 seconds saying 'your ip address has changed you must login again.

I have read the installation page which comes when mybb is downloaded and the mybb site installation page multiple times now, trying to find what I have done wrong.

Also I am using the latest 1.6.10 release of mybb.

I will try again today and see if I can get it to work by downloading a new package of mybb, uploading the files and changing permissions.

Oh and I used SQL Improved as it was shown as usable on the second page of installation but maybe that is an issue? I'll try to use normal sql this time.

If there is anyone using bluehost and mybb successfully I hope you will chip in with any little changes you used while installing so that I can replicate that too.

I thought I would contact the host only after I asked the mybb community as they would probably tell me that I should check with mybb first. Smile

If I cannot use mybb on 3 more attempts, then I will come again and ask for someones help in doing the installation for me...

(2013-07-31, 05:35 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]A blank page usually indicates an internal server error. Check your error log for more information.

Hi. Thanks I just learned how to use my host error logs. Smile

Do you know what this means?

[31-Jul-2013 05:35:26] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home2/whatable/public_html/deepdiscuss/inc/config.php on line 26

deepdiscuss.com is an addon domain on my primary domain. There are other errors on my other domains but this is the only one which shows on the needed domain...
Does your MySQL password contain an apostrophe? MyBB 1.6.10 has a bug where the MySQL password isn't escaped so a syntax error occurs.
(2013-07-31, 07:06 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Does your MySQL password contain an apostrophe? MyBB 1.6.10 has a bug where the MySQL password isn't escaped so a syntax error occurs.

Well yes it does. I'll change it and check and confirm if it goes well. Thanks for that info.

Thanks a lot Mr.Nathan Malcolm. That apostrophe was the issue. Wish I had known about that earlier. Support has been excellent. Smile