MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Linux XFCE (Fedora)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

The XfCE desktop environment is good as its less resource hungry. But I wanted to ask you all whether it lacks any features compared to gnome or KDE apart from eye candy stuff.

Thank you for reading
Some features yes, but IIRC it's not much less resource hungry then Gnome 2.0, and the fork of that. (I can't recall the name). I can't say there is too much less, mostly desktop effects from memory. It is good though, it is my DE of choice, with Openbox and LXDE following.
Yeah few features wont bother me. As it is I am just beginning to learn Linux. Would be using Fedora on my netbook.

It has Atom N570 and 1 GB RAM.

But I was suggested by fedora community to use XFCE spin rather than GNOME or KDE.

Thanks for reply Smile
Yes, a lighter DE would be best. If XFCE is still slow, consider Blackbox or a system of such. They are weightless almost/.
Though blackbox is not a great beginner one.

In fact when I first used Fluxbox a few years back I thought it was a game where you had to see how long you could last.
Todays XFCE is not as light as it once used to be. Try LXDE for lightness + user friendlyness.

Even I thought that about Enlightenment aka e-17 desktop environment.
It's true that XFCE is less light than it once was, but I imagine it should run just fine on the specified hardware. I've ran it on less personally just fine.
I tried it on a VM with 512 MB Ram. I tried Manjaro and Xubuntu and surprisingly Xubuntu ran faster. Guess it just me.

The problem now with KDE is its a bit heavy, but the plus it offers a lot of customization. The major problem is many stock GTK apps in Ubuntu and Xubuntu like Software Centre and update notifier and many other things are either buggy or completely absent in Kubuntu. Thats what prevents me from going with KDE.
I used to use Fedora initially but stopped using RPM distros all together as Ubuntu and friends had more guides and support options. I am not a very advanced user so still need help at times.
I'd go with Ubuntu if I didn't object so strongly to the spyware they include in their core desktop. Fedora is a nicer experience for me too as I like to have access to bleeding edge packages easily and don't want the hassle of Arch.

@Alex Smith before you reply, I will try Arch one day. I know I've said it many times before, but honestly, I will.