MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move MyBB to VPS server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys I am thinking about moving my forum to a VPS server and I need your help.
Can you tell me please what minimum characteristics VPS server should have to support millions of users and will cost up to $100 per month.
If you are running a forum with millions of users, I'd probably recommend just going for a dedicated server. You can get some decent dedicated servers for less than $100/month if you don't mind unmanaged servers.

If you are going to go the VPS route, I'd recommend trying to get one that runs on nginx instead of Apache to cut down on RAM consumption. An extremely active forum is going to require a lot of RAM on the server, so that will help a lot. You'll also want as many CPU cores as you can afford, since one core probably won't be enough for a very active forum. Many VPS hosts don't really like high server loads, so you'll want to do your research on the hosts to make sure that running a forum on a higher server load won't be against the TOS.
Thanks but Mybb only works on Apache server and I have many plugins that use .htaccess. Can anyone tell me if it's not a secret, what server mybb.com use?
^ this community forum is running on nginx and MyBB forum should work on any server (requirements)
Thank yoo all guys, I very appreciate your help.
I run my MyBB forum on nginx and it works great. The only real disadvantage is that most SEO plugins require a lot of custom coding before they will work on an nginx server, but I've never really used SEO plugins anyway. I doubt it will really be an issue.
Quote:Can you tell me please what minimum characteristics VPS server should have to support millions of users and will cost up to $100 per month.

If you really have millions of users, a $100 VPS would not help in the slightest. It sounds like you're planning for the future. If so, cross that bridge when you come to it. It would be a waste of money to buy servers you don't need.