MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2StepAuth - Multifactor/2 Step authorization for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: hwkwoPE.png]

The must have plugin for any forum administrator

"Password-only authentication is Disco-era technology, little more sophisticated than the ancient Roman watchword. Underlying flaws in the architecture of the Internet combined with modern web technology makes every web page and banner ad a potential spy, waiting to steal your password.
2-factor improves on this sorry state of affairs by requiring another piece of information to log in -- a one-time-use code that is sent to your mobile phone. So unless an attacker has both your password and your mobile phone it will be much harder for them to access your account. Yes, it's a little less convenient. But it's much more secure. And it sure beats having some stranger using your account to behave as you."
- Richard DeVaul at the Google Blog.

What is it?
2StepAuth (2 step authorization) is a MyBB plugin created as a extra security layer on top of the normal login procedure.
It uses the Google Authenticator app for the creation of authorization codes.
Alternatively, emails can also be used for users without a smartphone.
If you're not familiar with the concept of 2 step authorization, I suggest you to check out the wikipedia page on 2 step authorization.

Screenshots
[attachment=29890][attachment=29891][attachment=29959][attachment=29960]

Features
  • Google Authorization
    User scans QR code with his smartphone, can then generate login codes to authorize new IP addresses.
  • Email Authorization
    User gets emailed whenever an attempt is made to login, email contains a login code that said user will have to enter to authorize his IP.
  • User can enable the system from his User CP.
  • User can see authorized IPs and their geo locations.
  • User can revoke authorized IPs.
  • User can choose between the 2 different methods mentioned above.
  • System shows a notification to users who haven't enabled 2stepauth.
  • Admin can limit the system to certain usergroups
  • Admin can disable geolocation lookup and/or notification.

Why would I need this?
First of all, this makes access from any IP address than your own impossible.
This means, that any person that doesn't have your phone / your email, can never log in into your account, despite having your password.
Second of all, this is a excellent protection against database compromises, even when they crack the password hash, they'll have to have file access as well to decrypt the user secrets. (which is rarely the case).
User secrets are the only way to get access to someone's account, and they are encrypted by default. The randomly generated encryption key is stored in the config file, not the database.
For a more detailed description of how it works etc, check out the wiki.

Installation instructions
Like any mybb plugin, drag the 2 folders into your /inc/ folder on your mybb installation. This will install both the language files and the plugin.

Download
Always up-to-date mirror: Only milestones mirrors:
I found a bug/Want to make an improvement
Please, PLEASE, file bug reports/pull requests over at the official github project page.
Do not contact me at MyBB security/My own forum/My personal mail.
How about integrating Authy?
Amazing plugin! - I love it, nice job JariZ Smile
Google Authenticator key unknown error Huh
(2013-08-18, 05:33 PM)EmreKarakaya Wrote: [ -> ]Google Authenticator key unknown error Huh

Hi, does this happen when you scan the QR code?
Which phone do you have?

(2013-08-17, 03:09 PM)harlenjoy Wrote: [ -> ]How about integrating Authy?

Authy requires a external API (from what I can see)
With Google Authenticator we can handle the entire authentication progress without needing a external server which is save and fast.
On top of that, it appears Authy is commercial as well, while Google Authenticator is free and doesn't even require to be set up.
If they want something like this, they'll have to create their own plugin, not gonna use a commercial service.
This is crazy.
Going to attempt this on a small live board soon - should it work successfully, you may want to update the OP to have a donate link ;D
Phone model Samsung Galaxy s3

Error Continues
People have been reporting that installing the plugin on large boards is really slow.
Currently working on the next update....

(2013-08-19, 12:25 AM)EmreKarakaya Wrote: [ -> ]Phone model Samsung Galaxy s3

Error Continues

Still not enough details man....
Perhaps try installing QRdroid, The QR scanner I used to test this.

(2013-08-19, 12:23 AM)7uyk Wrote: [ -> ]This is crazy.
Going to attempt this on a small live board soon - should it work successfully, you may want to update the OP to have a donate link ;D

Your reply means enough to me Wink
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Give me a reply if you run into any problems.
this is actually very cool I may try it out O_O
This totally died trying to install on a 13k user forum. The install process creates the keys for all users even if they won't use 2FA. I've advised OP to make it add the keys only when the user enables it. He also adds all the data to the user table which is also less than optimal since you only need this data to login or change account info. It should be grabbed then.

Hopefully OP can fix a few of these problems and release a new version. It's good code and good work but needs some tweaking to be efficient and effective.
Pages: 1 2