MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to create private forum/group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my site I want to create a "Brothers only" and "Sisters only" section.

What I want is to have a male segregated section and female segregated section so neither can snoop inside, guests cannot view inside, etc...

The access also has to be approved so the user must have the option to if they are male to click below the forum to request access. Then an admin or mod can investigate if they are who they are and approve.

Vice versa with a sister/female.

Can this be done and how?
Well that is possible. You can create 2 forums (1 for male and 1 for females). After that create 2 user groups (1 for males and 1 for females).

Now all you have to do is play around with forum permissions.
Why not just create two usergroups, and then create both boards so that only the appropriate usergroup can access them? You can then create a system where members PM an administrator to get added to the correct usergroup, thus granting them access to their "brothers only" or "sisters only" board.

EDIT: Just realized Arbaz posted before me suggesting the same thing.
I just did that but it seems I have two problems.

I have a plugin called Overview 3.9.2 which posts the latests posts up top. It shows the segregated section posts although no one can enter them unless they are in that group... and it seems I can't have the plugin ignore certain sections. This is an issue now.

The overview plugin shows the latest threads with number of posts and username next to them and latest posts with latest responder username next to them

Secondly, I do not have a "join now" thing under the section. I've seen this on a vbulletin forum where it takes you to an edit groups page to request access. Is there something like this we can do?

Okay I think I'll have a solution with this better plugin (have yet to install but it does have the ability to omit forums):

http://prostats.wordpress.com/

However I'd like to have that option to have a join this section button to request group
1. You are viewing through the admin account. Try checking through a normal account to be sure.

2. You can set this in UserCP. Go to ACP>Users & Groups>Groups>GROUP NAME>Publicly Joinable Options>Tick Yes, all new join requests need to be moderated first and Yes, users can freely join and leave this group.

When members go to UCP>Group Memberships they would be able apply for the group then the moderator of the group would be able to approve or deny the request. When requesting, they will be required to enter a reason why they should be approved. There in that field, your members can provide proof of their gender.
Sweet I got it almost down to a science. Almost all issues resolved.

Now I want to try to figure out how to have the link for joining the group show under the forums. That's how I've seen it on one vbulletin board. Instead of having the users to go in the usercp.

Can we create a link under the description of the forum to:

http://board.com/Forum/usercp.php?action=usergroups

Cause that's what the vbulletin board pretty much does.

I resolved it!

So in the description I did:

For brothers to privately hold discussions <a class="xsmalltext" href="http://board.com/Forum/usercp.php?action=usergroups">Click here to join</a>

xsmalltext is just a new class with custom font size