MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disallow animated gifs avatars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can you please add a small piece of code in the avatar upload section, that will prevent uploading of animated gifs. They are very annoying in forums. Thanks
Preventing animated GIF/PNG in the first place is complicated, and you'd have to disable Avatar-by-URL as well.
Might be easier to make this a forum rule and delete animated avatars (and reprimand users who readd them).
Thanks frostschutz . That looks like a good way to stop th animations. Although it will require changing some css rules, it seems worth it. It would be good though just to have a small on/off button in admin panel to prevent animated gifs in in avatars.
The CSS might not work after all, it's for CSS animations, not GIF animations, sorry my bad. Smile
Bummer! Hey. So thats why it will be good to have such a button @ admincp that block animated image file types for avatars. Regardless if image url is used. It surely is possible.
(2013-08-10, 09:49 AM)jarrox Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless if image url is used. It surely is possible.

Not really. You could check the URL at the time it is added; but nothing to prevent anyone to just change the image at that URL afterwards. Unless you want to spend resources on re-checking URLs periodically, nothing you can do.
Yes thats true . Well my point is just to have some way of preventing animated gifs in avatars. Its better than nothing.
Not everyone would want this feature, if it were to be added maybe add an option for it to be enabled or disabled
I haven't looked at the code at all, but I'd think something preemptive like grabbing the avatars that are uploaded and using GD Library to ensure they are stills would be the best, but as frost pointed out, as long as peeps can link to external avatars then you can only moderate avatars by hand and educate members to the rules.
Pages: 1 2