MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: In regards to spam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ah ok, so Baidu is really that bad. I will look into blocking it then.

Thank you for the tip regardig location. I hope all bots will have gibberish for location for easy cleanup. And good advice regarding the fake accounts and dual ip's - I didn't know that until I checked my own account and saw the 2 different ip's.

Thank you
PinkStar
nothing is best than yahoo
(2013-08-12, 09:55 PM)Xbat Wrote: [ -> ]nothing is best than yahoo

Yahoo is a search engine. It's a bot, but not a spam bot.

OP, I advise you wait until you start to receive spam before you try to tackle it. Depending on your niche, network, and settings, it's difficult to say when or even if you will start to receive spam. Smile
(2013-08-12, 10:06 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-12, 09:55 PM)Xbat Wrote: [ -> ]nothing is best than yahoo

Yahoo is a search engine. It's a bot, but not a spam bot.

OP, I advise you wait until you start to receive spam before you try to tackle it. Depending on your niche, network, and settings, it's difficult to say when or even if you will start to receive spam. Smile

well i guess you are right Wink Toungue
Not sure who OP is but I assume Nathans comment was for me...?
If so, yes, I will ofcourse setup all the spam prevetion plugins but wait with the serious tweaking until I actually get spammed and then change the settings accordingly.

Thank you all for the feedback.
PinkStar
^ OP in general is original poster of the thread, that is, thread starter (for this thread OP is you)
some of anti-spam plugins are a bit heavy for a forum. suggestion is to not use many anti-spam plugins.
(a couple or triple should be fine)
Oops, silly me. I'm use to TS (thread starter) from my forum hangouts.

Yes, I have 3 installed and have them setup and will wait to see what happends. I just know from previous experience with freehosted forums and the absolut tsunami of spam that came at ya. Those forums had alot of great features but nothing to combat the wave of spam so I had to close them down as they were useless unless you spent all your time moderating.
I just want to be armed and ready for the next attack Big Grin

Thank you,
PinkStar
Here is another tip.

At the bottom of your forum you will see Forum Statistics. Select Who's Online and [Complete List].

You should be able to see everyone viewing your forum. Non members or members not logged in will show as Guest and the IP is located just below the Guest name. Copy the IP and paste into IP search engine such as WhatIP. Look at the Hostname. You can often see whether it is a bot or not here. Example from this morning on my forum: Guest (IP 66.249.72.95). I noticed the guest was looking at forum statistics so I did IP search and here is what came up under Hostname: crawl-66-249-72-95.googlebot.com Now you can block if you wish.
Thank you Sinbad for sharing and I will keep that in mind.

PinkStar
So, I got my first spammer.
He's not in my Spamalyser log but several other members posts are listed there with high points... dissapointing.
Also, incase the same person comes back I wanted to ban his url, but I cannot find it! Only ip, e-mail and username (?? why name and not url??)
How do I ban urls? I'm searching my admin area but cannot find it anywhere... Confused

Thanks, PinkStar
Pages: 1 2