MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My opinion about Mybb ( not important)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My main forum does use IPB, but I think many Invision users have been unhappy with all price jumping and actions Invision Power Systems has done to it's customers . I do think mybb has a very good chance to compete with Invision, but the a lot of features need to be catch up. Ajax in fast reply,make skinning easier, and maybe a few other things also.  Don't get me wrong I like mybb, infact if mybb was priced under IPB with a lot features are standard in VB and IPB have I think many would jump to mybb. I've tired many forum systems out,because i've been curious other forum systems possible for another site of mine. i found so far this is the best behind Invision. I tried Xmb, but some features are lacking that are standard. Phbb is so behind and it's more a risk than a joy to have for a forum system.

Anyways, I guess I really like to see Mybb continue to grow and possible compete a higher level with other 2 forum systems. It's a good forum system and I like to see it make it.
yea i totally agree with everything you just said there.

I've used many free forum systems such as:

Invision
SMF
phpBB
yaBB
MyBB

and i'd have to say that out of those five main forum systems MyBB would have to be the best
Hi there.

We're glad you like MyBB, and we continue to improve our software with some of the features you mentioned (I believe quick reply AJAX is in progress). We do read feedback from our users in order to better improve our software because in the end it is you who will use the board, not just us. We can't mind-read and figure out what everybody wants. So definitely we take feedback more significantly than you may imagine.

nirvanafans Wrote:infact if mybb was priced under IPB with a lot features are standard in VB and IPB have I think many would jump to mybb.

If MyBB is free, will less people "jump" to MyBB from IPB than if MyBB is paid software?

MyBB will always remain free though, and in my thinking that appeals to more users than if MyBB was paid. If you're itching to pay for MyBB though, you can donate to the MyBB group, or also purchase the branding-free option of MyBB (which is of course significantly less than what IPS or Jelsoft charge for a license of their software). Contact Chris Boulton if you wish to do so.

Thanks again for your support of MyBB.
DennisTT Wrote:Hi there.

We're glad you like MyBB, and we continue to improve our software with some of the features you mentioned (I believe quick reply AJAX is in progress).  We do read feedback from our users in order to better improve our software because in the end it is you who will use the board, not just us.  We can't mind-read and figure out what everybody wants.  So definitely we take feedback more significantly than you may imagine.

nirvanafans Wrote:infact if mybb was priced under IPB with a lot features are standard in VB and IPB have I think many would jump to mybb.

If MyBB is free, will less people "jump" to MyBB from IPB than if MyBB is paid software?

MyBB will always remain free though, and in my thinking that appeals to more users than if MyBB was paid.  If you're itching to pay for MyBB though, you can donate to the MyBB group, or also purchase the branding-free option of MyBB (which is of course significantly less than what IPS or Jelsoft charge for a license of their software).  Contact Chris Boulton if you wish to do so.

Thanks again for your support of MyBB.
It's a bit like buying name brands it doesn't mean the quality is better, but people think it's better because of the name, and cost. I do think installations for users can bring less stress on support staff. Somewhat or leave as option. It's why pay might be good for. I do believe make it easier to skin, and easy to find skins instead hunting through threads a big help. I know you already trying a section on the site that's empty the moment.

Personally, i'm pretty much tired of upgrading IPB so much. Soon it be $25 for 6 months with no support. Half the time it's the developers fault not fixing issues they known the first time, so it's why I have to update so much. It's a bit like microsoft to me.

A few ideas
I do think control panel,login, and for admin panel can be cleaner my opinion. drop menu like on View New Posts | View Today's Posts and possible others. A possible card instead all icons ( website, e-mail, and so on) Also add myspace link in profile,skype,last FM, Youtube. since those things are more common anymore than anything as people use.

Mouse move over topic and window pops up give a preview of the topic post? A lot of search sites has it Live and Ask.