MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hacking mybb accounts - need a solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a new program named "***".
I need to protect my forum against this.

I think they are trying user/pass combos with lots of proxies.
A lot of websites has been hacked.
*** hacked websites and config files
*** an example mybb forum i found

Example hack screen

What can i do? I want to protect my users accounts.
sorry for bad english.
I recommend you to remove the program name and image immediately. As for the solution, it is a bruteforcer. There's not much that we can do, if your members have weak passwords then that is whats going to happen. Use Cloudflare to limit the amount of requests sent to your forum and decrease the amount of failed logins and increase the failed logins wait time. Also, hide the memberslist from guests so if any malicious visitor wants to create a username list then they would have to sign up and if they are still able to compromise a members account on your forum, you can still find out who was the hijacker.
Thanks for fast reply. I will do that.
1st dont link hacking forum and 2nd that bruteforcer just attempt to crack the account and in mybb if you set after 5 or 3 login attempt user cant able to login for 15 minutes then thats very hard to hack mybb
that forum maybe not use any security caution so there users are hacker
New2MyBB, please don't mention any program names here. I just personally feel it's encouraging for skids to attempt to hack MyBB forums.
(2013-08-13, 06:11 PM)New2mybb Wrote: [ -> ]1st dont link hacking forum and 2nd that bruteforcer just attempt to crack the account and in mybb if you set after 5 or 3 login attempt user cant able to login for 15 minutes then thats very hard to hack mybb

But they are using proxies. they can try for hours.
If you're really worried about this, switch your login method to email address only. Problem solved.
(2013-08-13, 06:15 PM)tarkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-13, 06:11 PM)New2mybb Wrote: [ -> ]1st dont link hacking forum and 2nd that bruteforcer just attempt to crack the account and in mybb if you set after 5 or 3 login attempt user cant able to login for 15 minutes then thats very hard to hack mybb

But they are using proxies. they can try for hours.

That's true. They can try for hours straight but that's when Cloudflare comes into play. It will block any suspicious behavior or if there are too many incoming packets from a certain computer. Also, I found a tutorial on blocking most DoS attacks with Cloudflare.

Link: http://community.mybb.com/thread-127635.html

That should help block those automated bruteforce attempts.
(2013-08-13, 06:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]If you're really worried about this, switch your login method to email address only. Problem solved.

I switched my login method thanks. Do i need to setup cloudflare against this problem for an extra protection?
(2013-08-13, 06:21 PM)tarkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-13, 06:17 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]If you're really worried about this, switch your login method to email address only. Problem solved.

I switched my login method thanks. Do i need to setup cloudflare against this problem for an extra protection?

I think Nathans solution is effective and should get the job done. Cloudflare can help in many other ways including bruteforcing.
Pages: 1 2