MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hosting 2 Sites on one Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my regular site I use to upload download email and change settings on my servers and lots of stuff. but I would like to create a mybb forums for a team I am on and only have one ip and some of them are not smart enough to remember port 81 is there a way I can make it team.example.com go to one site and not have to mess up my site I run all my stuff on. Could I create a redirect that checks the URL called like if its example.com go to home.php and if its team.example.com send to example.com:81
Why not use virtual hosts?
isn't that a Linux base idea i am running windows 7 pcs so i can run other applications 2 and i would prefer no to wire my pcs together since they have different tasks the only thing they both have are we servers one for me and one for my team.
It isn't specific to a certain OS. You can use virtual hosts on Windows, *NIX, and Mac. The way you do it depends on the webserver you're using.
And just as a suggestion, running a web server is fine on your local PC, but other people will only be able to visit your forum while your PC is running. If you really require a forum, there are a number of form hosts out there. Or pick up some cheap hosting and upload mybb
Or at least made a dedicated server at your house. I have a few here, and it's totally easy. You just need your own DSL connection.

But for your problem, I'd highly recommend reformatting and use something like ESXI to virtualize everything so at least you can have your webserver on all the time.
i have 2 old dell computers i have install windows server 2008 on then are up all the time. I tough myself how to write java so i create a server program for one of my programs it only works on windows i tried it on a few Linux systems. i don't think my servers could handle anything as extreme as running a few copy's of an operating system.
You don't need multiple OSes to run more than one site... Use a virtual host, look at Apache or whatever you're using's documentation. Though frankly you don't sound informed enough to run a server securely.
the websites are really for stuff that needs to be securely one website is for me and my friends to share files another is for my basketball team to chat and stuff nothing that needs to be that secure.