MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please uninstall Orbit downloader as it contains malware.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All users I am posting this as just a public information.
ESET a popular antivirus firm has confirmed that the popular Orbit Downloader contains malicious software and users are requested to uninstall it.

With effect from today Softpedia, Majorgeeks and a few important file sharing sites has removed the software from their databases.

More here:- http://tweakbytes.com/Thread-Orbit-Downl...-says-ESET
This is even a popular piece of software? I've never, ever heard of it.
I've never understood why people use free download managers... They're just asking for things like this. When I download things I just use chrome, it works perfectly.
(2013-08-26, 07:31 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I've never understood why people use free download managers... They're just asking for things like this. When I download things I just use chrome, it works perfectly.

I used them back in the dial up days for large files since I could pause and resume downloads later Big Grin.
(2013-08-25, 09:17 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]This is even a popular piece of software? I've never, ever heard of it.
Well orbit is very popular. It is the rival to the paid IDM download manager.

(2013-08-26, 07:31 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I've never understood why people use free download managers... They're just asking for things like this. When I download things I just use chrome, it works perfectly.

Why people use download manager? 
Will most of the times you are sure to get higher speeds. Allows you to easily grab youtube videos too.
Also it allows to easily pause and resume downloads. I personally have purchased a license for IDM. This is needed especially if you have a slow internet access.

The one I would recommend in free is Free Download manager as it is open source and not motivated by commercial gains.
(2013-08-26, 07:31 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I've never understood why people use free download managers...

Dreamspark comes to mind...

Different download managers offer numerous benefits than using the standard Chrome / other browser download manager. Though I still just use Chromes download manager, coupled with a fast internet connection can't really go wrong Wink.
(2013-09-02, 09:35 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-26, 07:31 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I've never understood why people use free download managers...

Microsoft used to offer a DirectX download manager with Dreamspark downloads. I don't know if they still do. And, realistically, how much are you going to be downloading from there?
(2013-09-02, 09:38 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-02, 09:35 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]

Microsoft used to offer a DirectX download manager with Dreamspark downloads. I don't know if they still do. And, realistically, how much are you going to be downloading from there?

Well, I have a license for nearly every program on our colleges one... So about that much.

Point being, it's still a download manager.