MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there Mobile version ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2013-08-28, 09:37 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-28, 03:31 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-28, 02:29 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-26, 02:33 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]There are solutions available, such as MyBB GoMobile, which are suitable for most forums.

Not at the moment - Go check Smile

https://github.com/jasonliehr/MyBB-GoMobile

Ok, now I'm genuinely curious, where did you get that link from?

It's the second search result in Google for "MyBB GoMobile".
Third one here, but yeah. I tend to go straight to sites I know. Thanks though.
I think there is no mobile version needed, now phones are coming with resolution of 1920*1080 ! and many phones have 1280*720 resolution which is resolution of my laptop, tablets even come with a lot higher resolution and this means in the time mybb 1.8 will be released most phones will not need any specific version.
(2013-09-08, 09:43 PM)noyfound Wrote: [ -> ]I think there is no mobile version needed, now phones are coming with resolution of 1920*1080 ! and many phones have 1280*720 resolution which is resolution of my laptop, tablets even come with a lot higher resolution and this means in the time mybb 1.8 will be released most phones will not need any specific version.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a mobile site is supposed to be and how screen resolution works then. Mobile versions are about readability and simpler effects/design. Increase the resolution on 4-5" phones all you want, text is still going to be small to read and difficult to always tap the right way. A 1080p display such as a 55" TV will display text far larger than a 4" 1080p display. Same resolution, far more difficult to tap on a phone. Pixels on a phone are FAR smaller than the ones on your computer. Things will generally still be the same size on the phone as they are now.
(2013-09-08, 10:46 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-08, 09:43 PM)noyfound Wrote: [ -> ]I think there is no mobile version needed, now phones are coming with resolution of 1920*1080 ! and many phones have 1280*720 resolution which is resolution of my laptop, tablets even come with a lot higher resolution and this means in the time mybb 1.8 will be released most phones will not need any specific version.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a mobile site is supposed to be and how screen resolution works then. Mobile versions are about readability and simpler effects/design. Increase the resolution on 4-5" phones all you want, text is still going to be small to read and difficult to always tap the right way. A 1080p display such as a 55" TV will display text far larger than a 4" 1080p display. Same resolution, far more difficult to tap on a phone. Pixels on a phone are FAR smaller than the ones on your computer. Things will generally still be the same size on the phone as they are now.

Hello,

I personally don't like 'mobile sites' because they differ too greatly from desktop sites. I don't want to be staring at black text and a white screen on my phone, when the desktop version is much better to look at.

I'd rather pinch and double tap to zoom on my mobile phone viewing the desktop version, than have to read a mobile version. That's why phones are touch screen, so we can zoom in/out as we please if the text is too small.
(2013-10-09, 04:15 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-08, 10:46 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Hello,

I personally don't like 'mobile sites' because they differ too greatly from desktop sites. I don't want to be staring at black text and a white screen on my phone, when the desktop version is much better to look at.

I'd rather pinch and double tap to zoom on my mobile phone viewing the desktop version, than have to read a mobile version. That's why phones are touch screen, so we can zoom in/out as we please if the text is too small.
In my personal experience and opinion, the mobile sites like you describe that are totally different than the normal site are done wrong. Far too often they are way different in design and lack certain features. A mobile site ,IMO, should have easier tap targets, but still loosely retain the core layout.
Pages: 1 2