MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Major Point Upgrade to 1.6.x “Performing Queries” Fix Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

It’s be nice to the new guy week, I hope. I am trying to upgrade a very old version of mybb 1.2.12 to 1.6.10.

Environment:
I have created a test environment (Windows OS, IIS, MySQL 5.6, PHP 5.3.24, backed up and restored files, database, and so on) This is a very simple implementation, no real plugins, etc. Anyway the test environment is working and I successfully upgraded from 1.2.12 to 1.2.14 using the normal upgrade process just fine.

Problem:
Trying to make the leap to any later version (1.4.x through 1.6.x) I get the common “Performing Queries” Performing necessary upgrade queries message that just sits there. I have tried what recommendations I could find to work around this (may have missed one). The “step method” upgrading one version at a time failed. The “merge method” bring up a 1.6.x instance of mybb and use the merge tool failed with the 1054 - Unknown column 'allowvideocode' in 'field list' error, which the posting say the remedy is doing an upgrade. Nothing is jumping out at me in the MySql server logs (at the current logging level)

Can anyone help with a step by step fix for this type of problem?
I am hoping this thread will help me and others too.

Root Cause: (TBD)?

Fix: (TBD)?

Thank you for your time and consideration ahead of time.
Did you disable all plugins and close your board before upgrading or trying to merge?
Thank you for your reply Ardaz. Yes I did.
(2013-08-28, 07:51 PM)Rimille Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

It’s be nice to the new guy week, I hope. I am trying to upgrade a very old version of mybb 1.2.12 to 1.6.10.

Environment:
I have created a test environment (Windows OS, IIS, MySQL 5.6, PHP 5.3.24, backed up and restored files, database, and so on) This is a very simple implementation, no real plugins, etc. Anyway the test environment is working and I successfully upgraded from 1.2.12 to 1.2.14 using the normal upgrade process just fine.

Problem:
Trying to make the leap to any later version (1.4.x through 1.6.x) I get the common “Performing Queries” Performing necessary upgrade queries message that just sits there. I have tried what recommendations I could find to work around this (may have missed one). The “step method” upgrading one version at a time failed. The “merge method” bring up a 1.6.x instance of mybb and use the merge tool failed with the 1054 - Unknown column 'allowvideocode' in 'field list' error, which the posting say the remedy is doing an upgrade. Nothing is jumping out at me in the MySql server logs (at the current logging level)

perhaps install 1.6.10 on your wamp stack (localhost) look at the changes to the database tables structure between that version and your production site, when you have all the changes logged write a utility to update the tables on the production site to suit the new structure and then add the 1.6.10 files to the production site as long as you have not missed any structure changes with in the data it should work.

why not switch the server to a unix/linux enviroment this will save Bill Gate's trolls making you jump through hoops to convert the data Big Grin
There are a number of steps the upgrade process does. Under the “Performing Queries” step some sections did complete. Here is what was written to the screen

(1.2.14 to 1.6.10) screen output for performing Queries steps. I am only showing the text that changes on the screen here of course:

Adding index to private messages table … done
Adding index to posts table … done
Dropping longipaddress column in posts table … done
Adding longipaddress column to posts table … done
Adding index to users table … done
Converting existing banned IP addresses, email addresses and usernames .. Done

Next screen only shows “Performing Queries” at the top and “Performing necessary upgrades ..” at the bottom with no new text between.

I feel silly looking at screen output. Shouldn’t there be a log I am look at?
(2013-08-28, 10:15 PM)Rimille Wrote: [ -> ]There are a number of steps the upgrade process does. Under the “Performing Queries” step some sections did complete. Here is what was written to the screen

(1.2.14 to 1.6.10) screen output for performing Queries steps. I am only showing the text that changes on the screen here of course:

Adding index to private messages table … done
Adding index to posts table … done
Dropping longipaddress column in posts table … done
Adding longipaddress column to posts table … done
Adding index to users table … done
Converting existing banned IP addresses, email addresses and usernames .. Done

Next screen only shows “Performing Queries” at the top and “Performing necessary upgrades ..” at the bottom with no new text between.

I feel silly looking at screen output. Shouldn’t there be a log I am look at?

I would still look at the difference between both sets of tables and write code to migrate from one to another, as 1.2->1.6 is a quantum leap the install utility may not be able to handle all table differeces. The other way is to download your database from a utility (such as phpmyadmin) drop all tables install 1.6 and upload the database back ... however you will still have to address the stucture changes between the 2 versions
(2013-08-28, 10:00 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-28, 07:51 PM)Rimille Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

Environment:

Problem:

perhaps install 1.6.10 on your wamp stack (localhost) look at the changes to the database tables structure between that version and your production site, when you have all the changes logged write a utility to update the tables on the production site to suit the new structure and then add the 1.6.10 files to the production site as long as you have not missed any structure changes with in the data it should work.

why not switch the server to a unix/linux enviroment this will save Bill Gate's trolls making you jump through hoops to convert the data Big Grin

Thanks for your reply JimR and the suggestion.
I'd go to a 1.4x version first and see how that goes and then upgrade to 1.6x.
Hi labrocca, thank you for the thought. Yes, I tried the “step method” upgrading one version at a time and it failed.
If you can't upgrade from your 1.2x to a 1.4x then you're going to surely fail a leap upgrade directly.

What problems are you facing in the 1.2x to 1.4x conversion.

btw I recommend you go to 1.4.2 and from there the final 1.4x version (forgot what it was) and then go to 1.6.2 then 1.6.10. Lots of extra crap but it's imho going to be the path of least resistance.
Pages: 1 2