MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: organizing Boards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a newbee to MyBB. I'm trying to determine whether MyBB can meet my needs. I want to establish a web-based, neighborhood focused Forum Board in my city, with each Board as close to where the user lives as possible.

My city has 4,000 named blocks and about 75 neighborhoods, usually defined by a major street intersection (Grant-Ferry) or characteristic (Medical Campus).

Can MyBB practically support at least 75 Boards, or more? What would be the best way for a user to enter a 'Neighborhood Board and then drill down to their street name? How much PHP programming language is required to set up a My BB Forum? I've read the MyBB documentation and searched the Community Forum. Can you suggest/link me to other resources that address these kinds of organization/capacity questions re: MyBB?

Thanks!
if you want to have 75 sections or more within a MyBB community forum then it is easily possible through categories,
forums, sub-forums, and thread prefixes. MyBB forum administrator / owner need not have deep knowledge of php.
Wow! It's a great idea
(2013-08-30, 03:52 PM)bflojoe Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a newbee to MyBB. I'm trying to determine whether MyBB can meet my needs. I want to establish a web-based, neighborhood focused Forum Board in my city, with each Board as close to where the user lives as possible.

My city has 4,000 named blocks and about 75 neighborhoods, usually defined by a major street intersection (Grant-Ferry) or characteristic (Medical Campus).

Can MyBB practically support at least 75 Boards, or more? What would be the best way for a user to enter a 'Neighborhood Board and then drill down to their street name? How much PHP programming language is required to set up a My BB Forum? I've read the MyBB documentation and searched the Community Forum. Can you suggest/link me to other resources that address these kinds of organization/capacity questions re: MyBB?

Thanks!

I have done this for 34,000 houses each 'house' lives in a post code (zip code) segment (forum) as a thread
so the stucture could be like this

Category = The Area
Forums under category
Zip Code 1 [forum]
Zip Code 2 [forum]
Thread in forum 'Zip Code 1'
123 any street [thread]
there after you can place posts per house below that.

When I did this I had all the addresses in a csv file and I wrote a php script to import each address into its correct forum and produce the thread.

N.B this was applied to UK post codes which are in the format simular to 'WR1 2DP'
so the forum was named 'WR1 2DP' and '123 any street' was added as a thread
'125 any street' (this has the same post code) was added to the same forum..

I really do hope this makes sense
(2013-08-30, 06:13 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-30, 03:52 PM)bflojoe Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a newbee to MyBB. I'm trying to determine whether MyBB can meet my needs. I want to establish a web-based, neighborhood focused Forum Board in my city, with each Board as close to where the user lives as possible.

Thanks!

I have done this for 34,000 houses each 'house' lives in a post code (zip code) segment (forum) as a thread

Category = The Area
Forums under category
Zip Code 1 [forum]
Zip Code 2 [forum]
123 any street [thread]

When I did this I had all the addresses in a csv file and I wrote a php script to import each address into its correct forum and produce the thread.

N.B this was applied to UK post codes which are in the format simular to 'WR1 2DP'

Wow! Your example shows me that MyBB can support the neighborhood forum organizational structure I am planning. Thanks so much
(2013-08-31, 01:54 PM)bflojoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-08-30, 06:13 PM)JimR Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks!

Category = The Area
Forums under category
Zip Code 1 [forum]
Zip Code 2 [forum]
123 any street [thread]

Wow! Your example shows me that MyBB can support the neighborhood forum organizational structure I am planning. Thanks so much

looks like
[attachment=30034] [attachment=30035]