MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Display Subcategories and their Forums on Index like Categories?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Day.

Nope, this is NOT a "How do I show more then two subforums listed?"-Thread! Sadly I cant figure out what to look for, since its always giving out topics with the questions written above and I already did that, so I open a new topic now:

I want to know how I can show all Categories (Level 1), Subcategories (Level 2) and Forums (Level 3) in the index. Subforums of the Forums are okay if they are only listed, but Categories and SubCategories would need to be Shown.

Like this (if you can imagine it):
- Category "Games"
	- Subcategory "FPS"
		- Forum "cs:s"
		- Forum "CoD" (List of Subforums: MW1, MW2, MW3)
	- Subcategory "Zombies"
		- Forum "DayZ" (List of Subforums: Vanilla, Origins, Taviana)
		- Forum "Project Zomboid"

I dont think it is needed that I post it, but since it is requested: forum.echstreme.de
Go to ACP>Configuration>Forum Home Options under Subforums to show on Index listing change to whatever number of subforums you want to show
And if you wan to show all categories.

Go to forum and post

Create category - category - forum
(2013-09-01, 05:28 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]Go to ACP>Configuration>Forum Home Options under Subforums to show on Index listing change to whatever number of subforums you want to show
Nopes. Thats exactly what I dont need. I already found that solution. Please read my request properly. (Especially since I just edited it). Wink

@gamemaster: how would creating them do what I need? I already have a category in a category and inside that I have a forum. But on my index-page this forum is shown as a subforum of the "sub-"category - and I dont want that. I want the forum shown as its own forum (with subforums) and NOT as a subforum of the "sub-"category. Wink
I see what you are trying to accomplish here.

Go to ACP>Forums & Posts>Forum Management

Make sure you already have a category(The category name will be bold).

Then create click on "Add New Forum" and make sure you have the following:

Forum Type: Category
Parent Forum: Choose the name of your first category (The one you saw in bold).

Then click on the new category you created AKA Subcategory. Now in your subcategory which you just created, add some forums to that category so the overall will look like something like this:

Image: http://puu.sh/4gCCD.png
Okay, I see you tried to understand me. I appreciate that. And I now understand, that this is what gamemaster thought, too.

Its not the problem to create those subcategories. I want them (AND THEIR FORUMS!) shown on the index-page of my forum.

At the moment it looks like (Ignore that it is [.code], I needed it to show the tabs/spacings.):
- Category "Games"
	- Subcategory "FPS" (List of Subforums: cs:s, CoD, ...)
	- Subcategory "Zombies" (List of Subforums: DayZ, Project Zomboid, ...)

I want it to look like:
- Category "Games"
	- Subcategory "FPS"
	- Subcategory "Zombies"

Do you understand it now? If not I will try to make some graphics that show what I want.
(2013-09-02, 05:59 PM)echstreme Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I see you tried to understand me. I appreciate that. And I now understand, that this is what gamemaster thought, too.

Its not the problem to create those subcategories. I want them (AND THEIR FORUMS!) shown on the index-page of my forum.

At the moment it looks like (Ignore that it is [.code], I needed it to show the tabs/spacings.):
- Category "Games"
	- Subcategory "FPS" (List of Subforums: cs:s, CoD, ...)
	- Subcategory "Zombies" (List of Subforums: DayZ, Project Zomboid, ...)

I want it to look like:
- Category "Games"
	- Subcategory "FPS"
	- Subcategory "Zombies"

Do you understand it now? If not I will try to make some graphics that show what I want.

you need to alter a template
perhaps try forumbit_subforums and replace the content with
{$sub_forums}<br>
Alright. That could be the right template. Sadly I cant code php (yet).

If I alter it, like you said, its the same as without alteration, just missing the "Subforums:" text. (Not a bad alteration, but sadly not what I need/want. ^^)
Maybe I will try to play with it a bit later or this weekend. But, of course I would love to have a solution from somebody with more knowledge.
(2013-09-03, 04:09 AM)echstreme Wrote: [ -> ]Alright. That could be the right template. Sadly I cant code php (yet).

If I alter it, like you said, its the same as without alteration, just missing the "Subforums:" text. (Not a bad alteration, but sadly not what I need/want. ^^)
Maybe I will try to play with it a bit later or this weekend. But, of course I would love to have a solution from somebody with more knowledge.

hang on I missed a bit

template forumbit_depth3
{$statusicon}<a href="{$forum_url}" title="{$forum['description']}">{$forum['name']} </a><br>
Okay. I changed the forumbit_subforums to
<br />{$subforums}
(so i twisted it around) and it looks better, when combined with the second code you gave me.

I can live with that but its not perfectly what I want. If I could have these Subforums-List shown like Forums usually are shown on the Index, it would be the highest form of satisfaction I can reach.

If I can find the time I will try to draw exactly what I want tomorrow.

Anyways: Really thanks for your help, dear JimR.
(And I cant wait to start that new school in Octobre - then I will learn how to code that stuff myself!)