MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb_sessions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya,

What should the best SQL Engine be for the sessions table?
I've read on some threads that 'HEAP_MEMORY' did really good.

Currently using InnoDB.

Which one is considered best?

Thanks Smile
Right now I use InnoDB and very rarely have any problems with the sessions table and frequently there are hundreds of users online.
The sessions table gets updated on every pageview, so on small forums with few users on at the same time it won't really matter as it is unlikely to take long for a table lock to be released.

Once you start having lots of people online you are likely to see a performance boost from using InnoDB or Heap/Memory. InnoDB will only lock the single row that needs updating, but it is also ACID compliant, meaning that the data will still need to be flushed to disk before the query completes. Having the data on disk is not a bad thing, but because the data in the table doesn't need to be kept for long it can easily be made a Heap/Memory table, making updates essentially intimidate (I'm seeing <0.00009 sec on my forum)
Zero problems for my forum under InnoDB for sessions. I had lots of problems under MyISAM. Under MEMORY/HEAP I had minimal problems but still a few issues. The InnoDB has been flawless for me.
(2013-09-05, 08:53 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Right now I use InnoDB and very rarely have any problems with the sessions table and frequently there are hundreds of users online.

(2013-09-06, 10:57 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]The sessions table gets updated on every pageview, so on small forums with few users on at the same time it won't really matter as it is unlikely to take long for a table lock to be released.

Once you start having lots of people online you are likely to see a performance boost from using InnoDB or Heap/Memory. InnoDB will only lock the single row that needs updating, but it is also ACID compliant, meaning that the data will still need to be flushed to disk before the query completes. Having the data on disk is not a bad thing, but because the data in the table doesn't need to be kept for long it can easily be made a Heap/Memory table, making updates essentially intimidate (I'm seeing <0.00009 sec on my forum)

(2013-09-06, 03:10 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Zero problems for my forum under InnoDB for sessions. I had lots of problems under MyISAM. Under MEMORY/HEAP I had minimal problems but still a few issues. The InnoDB has been flawless for me.

Thanks for the input all.
Marked as solved Wink