MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

It's my first time to use MyBB and I got some questions about the software and I hope someone could answer.

1. what are the recommended space and bandwidth? (I'm planning to have a big community)

2. What are the recommended plugins? (portal, security and ease of use for my members)

3. In my forum page I want to have two columns. The left side is 80%(forum side) the right side 20%. What should I do? Is there a feature in the admin section where I can add columns in my forum page? Or do i need to install a plugin? If yes what's the name of that plugin?

4. If I delete a theme in the admin section will the others files in the /images will also be deleted or just the xml file?

5. If I delete a plugin in the admin section does all the files of that plugin will be deleted? Or there will be traces left?

6. Is there a plugin that will delete all unused files in my forum?

7. I just installed MyBB in my site. I have like 30+ forum topics in 6 different categories that I already put. Now I want to reinstall my MyBB. I want to have a backup of my forum topics. What plugin should i use?

I hope someone will answer my questions. Thank you.
Quote:1. what are the recommended space and bandwidth? (I'm planning to have a big community)

A few hundred megabytes of diskspace minimum. As for bandwidth 5-10 GB should be enough to start out. Just make sure to monitor your usage and upgrade as needed.

Quote:2. What are the recommended plugins? (portal, security and ease of use for my members)

That's entirely up to you. You should add plugins which you need and what you think will benefit your community.

Quote:3. In my forum page I want to have two columns. The left side is 80%(forum side) the right side 20%. What should I do? Is there a feature in the admin section where I can add columns in my forum page? Or do i need to install a plugin? If yes what's the name of that plugin?

You can either do this with CSS or with tables. You shouldn't need a plugin to do that.

Quote:4. If I delete a theme in the admin section will the others files in the /images will also be deleted or just the xml file?

The stylesheets and the templates will be deleted. The images and javascript remain untouched.

Quote:5. If I delete a plugin in the admin section does all the files of that plugin will be deleted? Or there will be traces left?

You cannot delete a plugin from the ACP, only uninstall it. To delete it you need to first uninstall it then remove the files.

Quote:6. Is there a plugin that will delete all unused files in my forum?

That would be a dangerous plugin as every working copy is different. You should know what files you're adding to your forum.

Quote:7. I just installed MyBB in my site. I have like 30+ forum topics in 6 different categories that I already put. Now I want to reinstall my MyBB. I want to have a backup of my forum topics. What plugin should i use?

You can create a backup of the database from the ACP. ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Database Backups
Thank you so much for answering my questions. Its really helpful. Now I can continue building my forum site.

If I'm going to encounter more problems I'll just update my thread here. Big Grin