MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blocking bot registrations when the registration form is available on every page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, those who have been to my site know that my registration form is actually embedded on every page and available via a pop-up modal when clicking Create Account.

Unfortuately, this means that a lot of plugins that only work on member.php?action=register aren't helpful to me. I'm getting a lot of spam registrations due to this, which is a huge problem for me because I plan to start sending newsletters via MailChimp.

The more users I send to, the more I have to pay. And I don't want fraudulent users receiving my newsletter.

I am using Spamalyser, but this plugin doesn't prevent registrations nor does it ban users – it simply blocks the post, and they remain in the Members group.

What are my options?
The options I can think of at the moment. Most recommended first, least last.
  • Get help converting current plugins to work for your set up.
  • Get help creating your own plugin that brings all the features you need into it.
  • Remove the Ajax pop-up registration.
  • Edit the templates and core files (use Patches for this) changing the names of the inputs to random strings.

By get help, it could be simply posting a thread or by hiring someone.
Haha, OK. I was worried that was the case.
One method that usually catches bots, is having the "hidden CAPTCHA" enabled and the field named url (ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Display a hidden CAPTCHA). All you would have to do is include the following in your registration form.

<input type="textbox" name="url" style="display:none;" />
(2013-09-04, 06:17 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Haha, OK. I was worried that was the case.

I imagine some of them wouldn't be too hard to add the like question one. It has to be a template variable which means it should be easy to move around and then it's just changing the hook for processing it (which I'm not sure on Toungue). But, if you're paying for mailchimp $5-20 for simple changes like this would easily pay for themselves.