MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disallowed/filtered wildcard email addresses 'awaiting activation' ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If *.pl is on the email (domain) filter list, how does [email protected] get on the ACP 'Awaiting Activation' list, etc ?

And/or, where to find more info, about email blocking, than is shown at http://docs.mybb.com/Admin_CP_Config_Ban..._Addresses ?

Getting a lot of spam/ers, and trying to come up with ways to stop.
I don't use the wildcard and it works. Just try .pl.
Thanks, will try.
Also, if we want to block a domain with some specific characters, should *c.pl work for blocking mc.pl or xxmc.pl

(2013-09-06, 09:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use the wildcard and it works. Just try .pl.
(2013-09-06, 07:56 PM)akm Wrote: [ -> ]Getting a lot of spam/ers, and trying to come up with ways to stop.

I don't know how many 'a lot' is. I haven't had much success with automated filters. I just check the list every day (or so) and delete them in groups.

All the ones where the user name is a complete non-match with the email addy (J_Smith has the email; A_Brown) go first.

I don't really have content that appeals to foreigners. Sorry, Russian dudes, but I have banned any *.ru address. Likewise with the Chinese.

That takes care of about 75% of the spam with a few clicks. Scrutinize the rest and toss out anyone who registered and signed off in a minute or two.

In 3 minutes you are down to a very small number that you either look at more closely, or just activate them and delete them with the first spam.

Every now and again I cast out someone who really wanted in, and they email a WTF? And I personally log them in.
Tried 'hotmail.com', but still have [email protected] 'Awaiting (Administrator) Activation' ?

(2013-09-06, 10:02 PM)akm Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, will try.
Also, if we want to block a domain with some specific characters, should *c.pl work for blocking mc.pl or xxmc.pl

(2013-09-06, 09:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use the wildcard and it works. Just try .pl.
I think this was solved along with http://community.mybb.com/thread-145249.html