MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows or Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I am thinking of using MyBB and Joomla for a new webpage but Im not sure what platform I should chose?

I know that both of the softwares supports Windows IIS and Linux and that Linux is a general suggestion.

The problem is that I know nothing about Linux, I have however works alot with websites on the Windows platform.

My host company suggests to let MyBB and Joomla run on Linux platform at host and then when taking it down to local computer for dev, run it in Windows? Is this really a good mix?

What paltform is best in this case?
Quote:My host company suggests to let MyBB and Joomla run on Linux platform at host and then when taking it down to local computer for dev, run it in Windows? Is this really a good mix?
This is the correct approach considering you have experience only with Windows environment. I follow this setup for years and works fine for me.

Things to note are to have backup of all your files/folders and database. Keep these things up to date with you. Test it offline(from your development environment) When all your test passed, push it on to live site, Feel free to ask if you have anything to clarify in this great MyBB community.
Good luck with your project(s).
Are you purchasing a hosting account? Or are you hosting it yourself on your primary PC, or an old one? If you are purchasing it, just either buy a hosting account, or just a managed VPS. That way someone else takes care of all the tech parts.
Games? Windows... because you are obligated to.
Anything else? Linux, better resource management of your hardware and system stability.
(2013-09-13, 09:31 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Games? Windows... because you are obligated to.
Anything else? Linux, better resource management of your hardware and system stability.

One day linux can be used for all. Steam is even pushing linux now Big Grin.
does not matter for MyBB or Joomla, they only care about PHP and a DB server. What the OS and webserver those run on does not matter.

Linux is easier to manage in my opinion from a webserver standpoint but use whatever you are comfortable with that your hosts supports and you can afford to pay for
I had MyBB running off Server 2008 R2 Enterprise at one stage, remotely connecting to a Ubuntu Server 12.04 x86 server for Databases.
(2013-09-14, 04:33 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I had MyBB running off Server 2008 R2 Enterprise at one stage, remotely connecting to a Ubuntu Server 12.04 x86 server for Databases.

Why not have the database on the windows server?
(2013-09-14, 12:05 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-14, 04:33 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]I had MyBB running off Server 2008 R2 Enterprise at one stage, remotely connecting to a Ubuntu Server 12.04 x86 server for Databases.

Why not have the database on the windows server?

I prefer IIS for running applications and Linux for MySQL. Given it was a VM, it was reasonably quick.
(2013-09-14, 03:56 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]does not matter for MyBB or Joomla, they only care about PHP and a DB server. What the OS and webserver those run on does not matter.

Linux is easier to manage in my opinion from a webserver standpoint but use whatever you are comfortable with that your hosts supports and you can afford to pay for

System OS affects stability and performance ergo affects PHP and DB
Pages: 1 2