MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachment problem practical solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having installed the 1.2.1 version, I tried to add an attachment but I got an error message ""The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again. Error details: There was a problem moving the uploaded file to its destination."

I almost read all the threads related to attachment errors in this forum, and all the replies to these threads concentrated on useless solutions: that the directory's chmod needs to be 777, and that the file size should be checked, etc.

I was really frustrated by these solutions because they are too simple-minded and they never work, and having tried almost everything, I discovered that the problem lies in the Uploads Path, which is "/uploads" by default. I guess this default path might work with some but it doesn't with others. To discover the right path is the key to the problem, because it may be difficult for you to find out the right path to use. Start by consulting your web hosting account documentation. The other solution to find your path is to download the attached file, decompress and upload the "findmypath.asp" to the root of your forum folder. I have put a path to "uploads2" folder that doesn't exist. Open this file in your browser by pointing to its location: "http://yoursite/forumfolder/findmypath.asp". An error message will be displayed:
Folder D:\hshome\yoursite location\uploads2 does not exist.

Copy the location "D:\hshome\yoursite location\[replace "uploads2" with the folder name of your uploads"] and then:

Follow these steps:

- Go to the Adminstration Control Panel
- Board Settings
- Change
- Server and Optimization Options - Modify Settings - Go
- Uploads Path
- Write the appropriate path which you have copied+the name of the upload folder and submit changes

It is strongly advised that you make a copy of the settings.php on your hard drive before changing any settings. If anything goes wrong re-upload your saved copy to the /inc root folder.

Best wishes to all.
maatty Wrote:I was really frustrated by these solutions because they are too simple-minded and they never work
I wouldn't go so far as to say those solutions never work. It's pretty standard to eliminate the simple solutions, a lot of time the problem is something simple. Other times it's not. We also help people with the little information they provide, which may lead to vague simple answers. Smile
Indeed, theres no need to get so deranged or be vituperative to us over these type of things.
And of course you will need a host with ASP installed in order to run the ASP file Smile
Christian Wrote:
maatty Wrote:I was really frustrated by these solutions because they are too simple-minded and they never work
I wouldn't go so far as to say those solutions never work. It's pretty standard to eliminate the simple solutions, a lot of time the problem is something simple. Other times it's not. We also help people with the little information they provide, which may lead to vague simple answers. Smile

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry if you got me wrong. What I had actually meant was that the suggested solutions that I read never worked in my case. I will never intentionaly mean to offend others or underestimate their efforts to help. I must also admit that this is the best serious forum on the net, and I really appreciate the great effort of the fourm team and their outstanding work. Thanks a million.