MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] mybb 1.4 - the AJAX thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A god damn lot of Ajax ^_^
Dale Hay Wrote:A god damn lot of Ajax ^_^

yes, you are right,
ajax is very important, in web 2.0 we will all need ajax
AJAX everywhere, 100% XHTML X.X version valid etc. just don't sound very worth it. It's ok if you're building websites for clients that need to be put on your portfolio and then you boast "we built websites 100% valid XHTML vx.x". But to be frank, it doesn't offers any benefit as of now, when all we're doing is delivering the XHTML pages using content-type: text/html. That still is html, no matter whether you use xhtml or html, it is parsed as html in the back-end. And then again, it will be years before Internet Explorer (IE7 doesn't support XHTML) start supporting the real XHTML that is with the correct content-type of xhtml.

Basically, the best help XHTML can offer is for mobile browsers and content aggregators looking for correctly formed tags using the XML rules, where resources are important and you don't want to use AI techniques to make sense out of some garbage traditional HTML. So I say, we have a lot of time (5 years, 8 years?) before we need to start serving the real XHTML pages and till then, there is no need for 100% valid XHTML websites. I think w3c needs to be more clear of their theories.

As far as AJAX is concerned, it's cool, but like always, exaggeration of anything is bad. Use wisely, or it will be over-used and cause the feeling of bloatedness.

I agree with what tikitiki said. A well-balanced, a well-featured forum making use of minimal resources while still offering the nifty features.
Coder Wrote:I read in surfionline that there will be convertors for many popular bulletin boards in mybb 1.4
Take a look at Tikitiki's blog, theres screenshots of the converters.

I want AJAX quick reply...~~
The current quick reply is relatively quite slow.
Dale Hay Wrote:A god damn lot of Ajax ^_^
Too much ajax can be bloating. I say, add what is needed. And all developers agree with should be added.
And improving the already added features.

I think for now XHTML Transitional is enough.
The content type of xhtml is application/xhtml+xml. So yea it does parse as html any ways.
SE Friendly urls.
AJAX implementation
Security and less bugs.

intotal a another stable release.
vinoth Wrote:SE Friendly urls.
AJAX implementation
Security and less bugs.

intotal a another stable release.
err, what? 1.2 has AJAX features 0.o
Security and less bugs is always top priority and will always be that, but as of 1.2 now it's pretty stable with not a lot of bugs. That still is active.
Breeze44 Wrote:I'd like to see alot of drop down menus,or that is not untill mybb 2.0 gets released
I don't think drop down menus can be used that many places actually 0.o
AJAX isn't a feature... it's a technology. And like CraKteR said, it's already used on some things in MyBB 1.2.x - such as quick edit. But more features designed using some AJAX are planned for the future...
Problem with any feature we add is that we need to test it intense, and any ajax features for example is really more painful to test then other features because we have to test them in a lot of browsers to see that they actually work on most browsers. I for example does not have a mac so I can't test on safari, fortunately the head of the soft has one so we can test it on that as well.
And most of the betatester techies have Linux so we can test it on ubutunu and that kind of stuff. Not to mention Micheal and his 'Must work on every version of opera' vendetta lmao
Pages: 1 2