MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] mybb 1.4 - the "Make languages XML" thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Instead of having language files *.php it can be XML
Oktay Wrote:Instead of having language files *.php it can be XML

That's not really very good for performance. Defined variables in php are bit faster than parsing data out of XML.
Asad_Niazi Wrote:
Oktay Wrote:Instead of having language files *.php it can be XML

That's not really very good for performance. Defined variables in php are bit faster than parsing data out of XML.

performance does matter, but parsing data out of XML has a lot of other advantages.
For example? Would you please mention a few.
No, I don't believe so. It should be in php files.
The xml format should only be used if we were using the language from the database. (Installing the language from a xml file). xml is great for storing settings and multiple groups or rows like a database. But not for this.
If we don't use PHP for the language files, we should switch to a properties file format (like what ResourceBundle uses in Java).

I still say that JavaScript should not be required to use MyBB, but can be used to enhance the user's experience.
PHP is used for the language files. I actually do not see a point in not using php files. It only creates more work for us. The current system works fine. As the saying goes "Don't fix it if it isn't broken."