MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sending out tons of Subscriptions e-mails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm getting notices from my webhost that the max amount of e-mails are being sent and it's from MyBB forum. I have it set to Send Email Verification and I'm getting around 10 signups per day, yet 600+ of these mails goes out every day and has been for the last 5 Days.

I have no idea what could be causing it, I haven't changed/updated anything or installed any new plugins. I'm looking at my system logs and nothing out of the ordinary.
I have only sent out a couple of pm's but no e-mails.

So what can be causing this?
I have now changed the signup setting to Send Random Password, just to see if that will stop the glitch from spamming.

Thanks, PinkStar
How do you know they are duplicate e-mails and not thread/PM subscription notification e-mails?
Ones I experienced something similar, do you by any chance use Cron Jobs? You should take a look If there is some defined Cron Job in your hosting panel.
(2013-10-02, 12:23 AM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]How do you know they are duplicate e-mails and not thread/PM subscription notification e-mails?

I cannot access them in my hosting panel, but one that was forwarded was a signup e-mail to confirm their e-mail. And my techsupport said it was those kinds of e-mails.
But I haven't gotten any complaints from members so I have no idea.

(2013-10-02, 12:25 AM)Jovan J. Wrote: [ -> ]Ones I experienced something similar, do you by any chance use Cron Jobs? You should take a look If there is some defined Cron Job in your hosting panel.

Thank you for the feedback, I will forward this to my techsupport and see what they can make of it.
How did you solve your issue?
(2013-10-02, 05:41 AM)PinkStar Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the feedback, I will forward this to my techsupport and see what they can make of it.

I just deleted that Cron Job, and everything was ok. Smile
(2013-10-02, 08:24 AM)Jovan J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-02, 05:41 AM)PinkStar Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the feedback, I will forward this to my techsupport and see what they can make of it.

I just deleted that Cron Job, and everything was ok. Smile

Ah simple enough. Crossing my fingers this will do the trick.

Thank you again for the feedback.
PinkStar
I am really not sure If that's gonna fix your problem, but you can try and see If there is something like that on your hosting panel Smile
This did not do the trick and there are no cronjobs Sad
My host now told me the title of the messages are: New Threads in (category name) - which indicates that it's subscriptions going out. But I cannot see where this setting is located or how to stop it. There is no indication in any stats that e-mails are being sent. Just a page and a halv of internal pm's between members.
Any ideas?

Thanks, PinkStar

Since the Subscribe to this Forum link is just below New Thread button, maybe some people have accidently subscribed. If so, will they recieve e-mail notices everytime there's a new thread? If so, that could explain my issue.
But I still can't see how to prevent this. Is there a way to disable it?

Thank you
PinkStar
You can remove the option to subscribe from your theme or even disable subscriptions through PHPMyAdmin. I scanned through the settings few seconds ago and I didn't find any setting to disable the subscriptions.
Thank you Arbaz for the suggestion.

Right now my domain and host is probably getting flagged as spammers and my host is not happy about this. There is no way to turn this off, there is no setting in the admin area to manually cancel it in their profiles, I don't have access to members passwords to so I cannot use their login and manually cancel it in their profiles - Nothing! I assume there is no plugin for it either...
I suggest that a verification box is added to those links, so if someone accidently click it they can cancel out. And let admins turn this off!

Right now I'm searching the templates for the file where I can remove these links. If someone can tell me the name and where to find it I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!
PinkStar
Pages: 1 2