MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will MyBB 2.0 be as Easily Customizable as 1.6 is?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I find MyBB 1.6 incredibly easy to customize because it allows for a lot of freedom, and the stock theme is nice and basic which serves as a GREAT starting point.

Will MyBB 2.0 be as easy to customize as 1.6?

If I posted this in the wrong section, please move it.
We can't answer that question right now. Of course we plan to make it as customizable as possible but development hasn't started yet.
Hey,

That's fine, even if it takes 15 years for it to be released, mybb 1.6 good enough for me. As long as 2.0 will be just as easy to customize Smile
I have these fears too. Mybb now is really easy to work with. But if it will move to hardcore MVC framework that will be much harder, if you are not very familiar with it.
I disagree. Using MVC, and therefore files for views, would be a massive improvement over the current situation. And generally frameworks tend to be helpful and not harmful toward development. Having a bunch of easy-to-access methods is great, and having the organization of MVC is also a plus.
Hey,

I hope 2.0 won't be moving too far away from the current MyBB design. XenForo is a great example of how a forum should NOT look like. Far too simple, a lot of the classic forum layout is taken out, I don't like it. People are praising simplicity as 'less is the new more' however it drives me insane. Everyone liked the look of vBulletin3 compared with v4, and MyBB looks similar to VB3, so it should stay that way.

Just like Windows 8, too simple. It fires me up just thinking about it.

So I just hope that 2.0 won't be introducing such simplicity, and just keep a forum a 'forum'.
(2013-10-09, 03:47 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

I hope 2.0 won't be moving too far away from the current MyBB design. XenForo is a great example of how a forum should NOT look like. Far too simple, a lot of the classic forum layout is taken out, I don't like it. People are praising simplicity as 'less is the new more' however it drives me insane. Everyone liked the look of vBulletin3 compared with v4, and MyBB looks similar to VB3, so it should stay that way.

So I just hope that 2.0 won't be introducing such simplicity, and just keep a forum a 'forum'.

Yeah, let's just go back to Windows 98/ME while we're at it...

Forums are trying to cater to as many users as possible. If Facebook used crappy looking tables and low-quality icons, would as many people use it? Probably not. Design trends happen for a reason, and people expect to see these.

I agree with you though that Windows 8 is done wrong though. xF isn't too bad, but not perfect either.
* Alex Smith likes windows 8.

* Alex Smith does know it's hard at first but there is a lot of intuitive design most people probably never see.
(2013-10-09, 05:54 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you though that Windows 8 is done wrong though. xF isn't too bad, but not perfect either.

imho, it is a good design, just too sharp a jump. Don't do this with MyBB. If 2.0 looks radically different, it'll be too hard a jump for most people and they'll stick with 1.8, as it'll be a difficult migration (Find Updated Templates, find a new theme, learn the new templates, etc). Even if it's only the thead, there should be vagaries of familiarity between 1.8 and 2.0, which is where Windows 8 went wrong imho. The only similar feature? The desktop. Admittedly, the only time I've used 8 is watching someone with it for like 15 minutes, I'm still on 7 myself so I could be wrong.
(2013-10-09, 03:47 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

See, I actually prefer the simpler formats. When I first signed up on a forum, I was lost and all the features confused me. I imagine the average user as the same way.
Pages: 1 2