MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: when do tasks/cron jobs run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a question I am pondering .... the cron jobs (tasks) that are set in the task manager how are they run ?
do they rely on some one looking at thesite and executing the footer template code
<!-- The following piece of code allows MyBB to run scheduled tasks. DO NOT REMOVE -->{$task_image}<!-- End task image code -->

I would guess this is the case, which then gives a problem perhaps ... if no one views the site (executes the code in the footer template) do the tasks run or do any backed up (over due) tasks run when some one executes the code in the footer template ?
They'll only run when someone visits the site; there isn't really another way we'd be able to do it. Cron jobs on the server would get around that, but it's the best we're able to do to have them run solely within the forum and not start requiring adding cron jobs to the server, something has to trigger it somehow.
(2013-10-04, 05:31 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]They'll only run when someone visits the site; there isn't really another way we'd be able to do it. Cron jobs on the server would get around that, but it's the best we're able to do to have them run solely within the forum and not start requiring adding cron jobs to the server, something has to trigger it somehow.

this may not be a problem adding a cron job to the server (my server anyhow) but if the site has a period of in activity are the missed tasks ran as being overdue ?
Yeah they'll still run at the next possible opportunity.
(2013-10-04, 08:05 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah they'll still run at the next possible opportunity.

cool I'll code around it