MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass delete spammers & posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was going to clean up my forum, but 6,000+ spam members and all their posts is way too much to sit there and go through. Is there a plugin or tool available for a mass deletion of this junk? A quick search proved for nothing but if you know of anything that'd be great.

Thanks.
use this plugins
http://mods.mybb.com/view/goodbye-spammer
and use google captha
(2013-10-07, 01:19 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]see replies here

This isn't really what I'm looking for because there's too much variation between who is real and who is not.

(2013-10-07, 01:23 PM)fachrils Wrote: [ -> ]use this plugins
and use google captha

This isn't good for mass deletion of members, especially since they all usually only have 1 post.
^ well, if you can give me required temporary privileges, I can help with it. however it might require a few days
(2013-10-07, 01:31 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]
and use google captha

This isn't good for mass deletion of members, especially since they all usually only have 1 post.

Got the same issue myself. Might update it to queue spammers or something and do them all in one go.
That'd be much better.

I figured I'd cut my losses and just reinstall the bored, which is annoying since I had so much work put in to it but I guess punishment for letting it go alone for so long.
^ anyway, you should be having a clean backup of database. or take a backup before you reinstall
the board and work on cleaning whenever it is possible (later you can merge the databases)
(2013-10-07, 02:22 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-07, 01:31 PM)Jordan L. Wrote: [ -> ]
and use google captha

Got the same issue myself. Might update it to queue spammers or something and do them all in one go.

I have coded some extra code that utilises the user pruning and banning functions of mybb ... to design this I set up a site that spammer/bots are attracted to. Then allowed loads of registrations .... from that worked out some logic to remove users & posts thereof ... it would appear from a standard mybb site spammers/bots have habits and fill in certain combinations of the profile fields. The second line of defence I used was an xthreads required field that appears in a light box window (at close of post). Most robots fail this and their post count remains at 0 hence the user pruning code works, thereafter within the user pruning task some extra code runs adding the user IP to the banned IP table ... on 3 weeks of running the code ... no spam or odd users however it would be better if the cron job could run without a visit from some user, however in most cases (user visits) this should work.
I had a couple of useful suggestions but since you re-installed your board, I don't think you would be needing them.

What I had on mind was first delete all the members with 0 posts and who haven't logged in for a very long time. Search for members who have 5 or less posts, who registered and the last visit date is the same. This would generate a lot of results which of whom would most likely be spammers.

Basically start from the bottom by deleting all inactive members then search for members who had posts but don't log in any more. If a member has the same registration and last visit date, they are 99.99% likely to be a spammer so losing them wouldn't be an issue. After that, go through forums with the most spam posts. If someone has 1 spam thread and they look suspicious, use the goodbye spammer on them which will help get rid of them and when you visit their profile, it would be easy to come to an conclusion.
Pages: 1 2