MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What does this mean in the upgrade instructions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's just not 100% clear. I can infer, but I want to make sure.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed

1) "default" - are you talking about the upgrade's / myBB's default? Or does default mean back to the way it was prior to the upgrade?

2) "changes will be removed" - referring to changes the upgrade has made? Or changes I've customized my site with?

it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.

3) Is this implying that if I have a custom theme, the upgrade will not upgrade my theme, that it will only upgrade the default theme? Then I must look at the MyBB default theme diff report and manually apply the upgrade changes to my theme?

Or is it implying it WILL upgrade my custom theme, and that I'll have to go in and manually apply the previous customizations I'd done to the new upgrade?
If a template has changed in the upgrade, it'll automatically use the new version if you've not edited it. However if you've edited the template, it upgrades the default template, but the forum will use your edited one; obviously this means you may be missing something from the new default version, or something may have been removed in the upgrade that your edited one still contains. Because of this you have to manually revert it to default to get the new version of it, but reverting it to default will remove the changes you had made to it, so you can view a diff report on it to see what you actually changed, so you can make the change again afterwards.

Does that help? Smile
It helps a little bit.

I'm using a custom theme that I've modified in quite a few different areas. Does what you wrote above even apply to me? If so, can you give me a 1 - do this, 2 - do this, 3 - do this.

My main concern is getting the vulnerabilities patched.
ACP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will list any templates that have been changed in the upgrade, but that you're still using an older version of as they contain your edits. You can view a diff report on these and it'll list all changes between your edited version and the new default version; if you make a note of what bits you changed, you can revert the template to default, and then just make your edits again.
(2013-10-08, 12:45 PM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]ACP > Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates. This will list any templates that have been changed in the upgrade, but that you're still using an older version of as they contain your edits. You can view a diff report on these and it'll list all changes between your edited version and the new default version; if you make a note of what bits you changed, you can revert the template to default, and then just make your edits again.

Okay... I believe I understand...Most of my confusion stemmed from wondering how the update could update the templates from a custom theme... I was under the impression that custom themes made changes to templates as well...

But after reading this, I'm assuming that custom themes generally don't touch templates.... ie, all the changes a custom theme makes are in the 'Themes' CSS files...not in templates.

Is that correct?
No they do edit templates, they just have their own template set... I can give you a proper explanation of how it works later, don't have time right now, I'll come back to this thread later Smile
So the upgrade package is able to upgrade custom templates? I'm thoroughly confused now if the answer is no.